2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Frankfort, KY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Frankfort.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Frankfort solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
By EcoWatch Local Advisors
Data Analysis: James Savino
Ranking Methodology: Karsten Neumeister
Updated March 14, 2023
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Frankfort?
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to mitigate the cost of installing solar panels on your home. This category of financial incentives is in place to encourage more homeowners to switch their home over to renewable energy. These incentives can include upfront discounts, cash back or monthly credits towards your utility bill. Some incentives are given by the federal government, some by the state of Kentucky and some by your utility company, county or municipality. You might qualify for any of the following types of solar incentives:
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions can come in one of two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, which is applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to exclude the added value of your solar system when calculating property tax for your home.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in the amount of tax that you owe the government.
- Net Metering: Net metering becomes relevant after your solar system is up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Frankfort utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your utility bill each month. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in other places you may make back a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: Solar companies may help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar panels. States or counties will also sometimes offer limited-time rebates. Any rebates you receive will usually be deducted from the total price before tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
When people think of solar incentives, federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. An incentive many people are likely to be familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC). This incentive is a tax credit for a given percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be applied to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. Originally, the tax credit was for 30% of the total cost — for panels, equipment, accessories and labor — although the percentage may range from 26-30%, depending on the installation date of your solar system. There is no cap on the claim amount.
To more fully understand how the ITC might apply to your situation, speak to your local Frankfort solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, expanded and extended the ITC (as well as retitling it the Clean Energy Credit). For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners may be eligible for a credit for 30% of the total cost. This percentage will decrease annually after 2032 until the Clean Energy Credit ends in 2035. Starting in 2023, it will also be easier to claim credits for energy storage systems under the new laws.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Frankfort solar panel installation experts can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Rebates, tax credits and more can be claimed at multiple levels. In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones as well. Incentives may be handled by your county or municipality, or by the state of Kentucky. Some incentives might only be available for a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Frankfort
Solar incentives can come from your local utlity company, the Kentucky government or the federal government. The large number of solar incentives available has contributed to a large increase in solar energy use in the last 15 years. Getting in touch with your local Frankfort solar panel installer is the right first step towards getting the most money possible when you switch to solar energy.
Best Solar Financing
Blue Raven Solar
- Industry-leading in-house financing
- Competitive pricing
- Excellent reputation
- Doesn't offer solar batteries (coming 2022)
- Price-match guarantee
- Sleek, efficient, and durable solar panels
- Best solar battery on the market
- Some reported issues with customer service
- Customer service varies by local dealer
EcoWatch's Frankfort, KY Solar Incentives FAQs
How can I learn if I qualify for solar incentives?
Generally, solar incentives apply to:
- a new solar panel system
- installed on a property that you own
- within the U.S.
- between the dates specified by a particular incentive.
Specific incentives, including ones handled by the Kentucky government or by your county/municipality, sometimes have additional qualifications. Talk to your local Frankfort solar installer to discover what incentives your project will qualify for.
How much will solar panels save me on my electric bill in Frankfort annually?
Once you add solar panels to your home in Frankfort, you can anticipate savings of approximately $808.38 per year, or approximately $15,359.25 over 20 years.
What are the top solar panel installation companies near me?
To learn about the best solar panel installation companies near you, read our article on Frankfort's best solar panel companies.
I want to switch my appliances out for ones that are more energy-efficient. Are there any incentives I can claim?
The new Inflation Reduction Act creates a variety of new financial incentives that are available when you make eco-friendly improvements to your home. More details about these incentives, including information about incentives for purchasing new appliances, can be found here.
Can I qualify for incentives both towards the initial cost of solar panels, and later as reimbursement?
The order that incentives will be applied in could vary depending on which incentives you receive but generally yes, you can receive multiple types of incentives for your solar project. Check with your solar installer or a local tax professional to confirm you are claiming all of the incentives you qualify for and applying them in the correct order.
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.
Solar incentive research was conducted by Melissa Smith and Karsten Neumeister. Local data analysis was conducted by James Savino. See something we missed or could do better? Email the editor.