2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Fort Thomas, KY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Fort Thomas.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Fort Thomas solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Fort Thomas?
Duke Energy - Residential Efficiency Rebate Program
Central Air Conditioning or Heat Pump: up to $400/unit
Geothermal Heat Pump: $400/unit
Variable Speed Pool Pumps: $300/unit
Attic Insulation and Attic Air Sealing: $250/unit
Duct Sealing: $100/unit
Duct Insulation: $75/unit
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" refers to a wide range of financial incentives designed to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. Various types of incentives, like discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits, may be available to you. Certain incentives may be offered by the state of Kentucky, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Rebates: Solar rebates might be offered by your local utility company, or by your county or state. These rebates are essentially cash back that is applied after you pay for a solar system and before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Net metering becomes relevant once your solar system is up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Fort Thomas utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some locations, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in others you may be refunded a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar panels could qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions are applied at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions allow you to ignore the value added by your solar panels when calculating property taxes on your house.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions that lower the amount of income tax you owe the government. (This is different from a tax deduction.)
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the kind of incentives that you are most likely to have some knowledge of. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is likely the most well-known federal solar incentive. The ITC offers a tax credit for a set percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, labor, accessories and equipment. This credit can be claimed on solar panels installed on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. Originally, you could claim 30% of the total cost, although depending on when the project was completed, your credit may range from 26-30%. There is no maximum claim amount.
Curious how the ITC might apply to your specific situation? Get in touch with your local Fort Thomas solar panel installation expert to get more information.
The Inflation Reduction Act, passed in August 2022, made some changes to the ITC (as well as renaming it to the Clean Energy Credit). The Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Your solar installation project undertaken between 2022 and 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. The amount will then decrease slightly on a yearly basis until the current program ends. The expansion also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, starting in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Fort Thomas solar panel installation experts can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to those provided at the federal level, there are often also state solar incentives. Rebates, tax credits and more can be offered at a more local level. These incentives might be handled by your county or municipality, or by the Kentucky government. Some incentives may be ongoing, while others are available for a limited time.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Fort Thomas
Solar incentives can be provided by the Kentucky government, the federal government or your local utility company. The growing number of solar incentives available has contributed to a large increase in solar energy use in the last 15 years. Your local Fort Thomas solar panel installer can provide you with more details about which incentives you should apply for, and get you started on the path to switching to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Fort Thomas, KY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.