2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Erlanger, KY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Erlanger.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Erlanger solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Erlanger?
Duke Energy - Residential Efficiency Rebate Program
Central Air Conditioning or Heat Pump: up to $400/unit
Geothermal Heat Pump: $400/unit
Variable Speed Pool Pumps: $300/unit
Attic Insulation and Attic Air Sealing: $250/unit
Duct Sealing: $100/unit
Duct Insulation: $75/unit
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are meant to encourage people to switch their home over to renewable energy by providing incentives that lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. Solar incentives might include cash back, upfront discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill. Some incentives are provided by the federal government, some by the Kentucky government and some by your specific utility company, county or municipality. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Net Metering: Net metering becomes relevant after your solar panels are up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your Erlanger utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in others you may get refunded a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar panel system might qualify for both sales tax and property tax exemptions. Sales tax exemptions are applied at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions allow you to exclude the value added by your solar panels when you are calculating property taxes on your house.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government. (This is different from a tax deduction.)
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar system. Counties or states will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. Any rebates you receive will usually come off the total price before any tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind when you think about solar incentives. It's likely that you've heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit equal to a predetermined percentage of the money you spend installing solar panels.
The ITC covers solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, equipment, labor and accessories. You can claim this credit for solar panels installed on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. The original amount you could claim was 30% of the total cost, although certain projects may qualify for only 26%, depending on the details. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To understand exactly how much the ITC could save you, speak with your local Erlanger solar panel installer.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners can apply for a credit for 30% of the total cost. The percentage will then decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit ends in 2035. Starting in 2023, the expansion will also make credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. The best way to learn more about how the new Clean Energy Credit will apply to you is to get in touch with your local Erlanger solar panel company.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often also state ones. Rebates, tax credits and more may be available at a more local level. These incentives might be handled by the Kentucky government, or by your county or municipality. Some are available for a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Erlanger
Solar incentives can be provided by the Kentucky government, the federal government or your local utility company. The variety of available solar incentives has facilitated the nationwide growth of solar energy use in the last 15 years. Reaching out to your local Erlanger solar panel installation company is a great first step towards making sure you get all the incentives you qualify for when you switch to solar energy.
EcoWatch's Erlanger, KY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.