2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Elsmere, KY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Elsmere.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Elsmere solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Elsmere?
Duke Energy - Residential Efficiency Rebate Program
Central Air Conditioning or Heat Pump: up to $400/unit
Geothermal Heat Pump: $400/unit
Variable Speed Pool Pumps: $300/unit
Attic Insulation and Attic Air Sealing: $250/unit
Duct Sealing: $100/unit
Duct Insulation: $75/unit
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives encourage people to switch to renewable energy by offering incentives that lower the financial burden of solar panel installation and use. You may be eligible for different kinds of incentives, such as discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Some incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the Kentucky government and others from the federal government. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions go into effect at the time of purchase for your solar system. Property tax exemptions let you ignore the value that your solar panels add when you calculate the amount of property tax you need to pay on your house.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Rebates: Solar companies may help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar panels. States or counties will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. If you receive a rebate, that amount will usually come off the total price before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Be sure to talk with your Elsmere utility company about signing a net metering contract. This will allow you to get a credit towards your utility bill every month for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You might receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely to be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about solar incentives. The Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, is likely the best-known federal solar incentive. The ITC allows you to claim a tax credit for a set percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC was originally for 30% of the total cost of solar system installation, although it has fluctuated slightly over the years between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you qualify for. The total cost of installation includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of labor, accessories and equipment. There is no maximum claim amount. The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be in the United States and owned by you.
Curious how the ITC might apply to your specific situation? Get in touch with your local Elsmere solar panel installation expert to get more information.
In August 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act laid out new provisions for the ITC, now titled the Clean Energy Credit. The Clean Energy Credit re-raises the credit up to 30% for solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032. After 2032, the credit percentage will see a slight decrease annually until the program expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, the expansion will also make credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Elsmere solar panel installers are the best people to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Rebates, tax credits and more can be provided at multiple levels. In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones as well. Some incentives are ongoing, while others may only be available for a limited time. Solar incentives might be offered by the Kentucky government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Elsmere
There are a number of different solar incentives: those offered by local utility companies, those offered by the federal government and those offered by the Kentucky government, to name a few. The use of solar energy has grown enormously in the last 15 years, thanks to these incentives. If you're ready to switch over to solar energy, talking to your local Elsmere solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Elsmere, KY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.