2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Berea, KY - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Berea.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Berea solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Berea?
Inter-County Energy Efficiency Program
Button-Up Weatherization Program: up to $750
SimpleSaver Program: $20 credit for installed air conditioner switches plus $25 sign-on bonus
CARES Program: Up to $2,000
Inter-County Energy Efficiency Loan Program
Jackson Energy Cooperative - Residential Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs
CARES Program: Up to $2,000/household
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are intended to encourage homeowners to make the switch to renewable energy by providing financial incentives that lower the burden of solar panel installation and use. You may qualify for several types of incentives, such as discounts, cash back or monthly utility bill credits, depending on your situation. Some incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Kentucky and others from the federal government. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Rebates: Solar companies may help you claim a rebate, or partial refund after purchase, for your solar system. Counties or states will also sometimes offer limited-time rebates. If you receive a rebate, that amount will usually come off the total price before any tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Don't forget to speak with your Berea utility company about signing a net metering contract. This allows you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You might receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, which is applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to exclude the value added by your solar system when paying property tax on your house.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government. (A tax credit is different from a tax deduction.)
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal incentives are the type of incentives that you are most likely to have some familiarity with. The solar incentive that you're most familiar with is probably the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a specified percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC was originally for 30% of the total cost of solar panel installation, although that number has fluctuated slightly over time between 26-30%. The percentage you qualify for will depend on when your solar system was installed. The total installation cost includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of labor, equipment and accessories. There is no maximum amount you can claim. The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be in the United States and owned by you.
To better understand how the ITC might apply to your situation, contact your local Berea solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
The ITC was renewed and increased in scope after the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. Homeowners are now eligible for a credit equal to 30% of the total solar system installation costs for projects that began after January 1, 2022 and will be finished by the end of 2032. The percentage will then begin to decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. To best understand how the new Clean Energy Credit applies to you, reach out to your local Berea solar installation company.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are not your only option; rebates, tax credits and more may be offered at the state and local level. Incentives may be provided by your county or municipality, or by the state of Kentucky. Certain incentives are available for only a limited time, while others are ongoing.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Berea
You can apply for solar incentives from the federal government and the Kentucky government, as well as from your local utility company. Growing availability of solar initiatives in the past 15 years has helped greatly increase nationwide adoption of solar energy. Your local Berea solar panel installer can give you more information about which incentives you should apply for, and get you started on the path to switching to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Berea, KY Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.