2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Upper Grand Lagoon, FL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Upper Grand Lagoon.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Upper Grand Lagoon solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Upper Grand Lagoon?
Solar and CHP Sales Tax Exemption
Property Tax Abatement for Renewable Energy Property
Non-Residential: 80% of the added value
Florida PACE programs
Lakeland Electric - Residential Energy Efficiency Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The term "solar incentives" refers to a wide range of financial incentives put in place to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. You may qualify for different kinds of incentives, including discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Florida and others from the federal government. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: Your solar installer might help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar system. States or counties will also offer limited-time rebates at various times. The value of a rebate will usually come off your total price before any tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Make sure you speak to your Upper Grand Lagoon utility company about signing a net metering contract. This allows you to get a credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You might receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, which is applied when you purchase solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to ignore the added value of your solar system when paying property tax on your house.
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely to be the first thing that you think of when you think about solar incentives. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a certain percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be credited towards the value of solar panels installed on your primary or secondary residence in the United States. The solar panels have to have been installed on a property you own after January 1, 2006 for you to be eligible for the credit. Originally, the ITC covered 30% of all system installation costs (panels, equipment, accessories and labor), although this amount has fluctuated over time between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you are eligible for. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
Wondering how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Get in touch with your local Upper Grand Lagoon solar panel installation expert to get more information.
The ITC has been renewed and expanded following the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in August 2022. It's also now called the Clean Energy Credit. For solar system installations that begin after January 1, 2022 and are completed by the end of 2032, homeowners can apply for a credit for 30% of the total cost. The percentage will then decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. The program expansion also makes claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before, beginning in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. To best understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you, talk to your local Upper Grand Lagoon solar installers.
State & Local Solar Incentives
There are more than just federal solar incentives; tax credits, rebates and more are often offered at the local or state level. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others are offered for only a limited time. Your local incentives might come from your county or municipality, or from the Florida government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Upper Grand Lagoon
The large number of solar incentives available has enormously increased the adoption of solar energy nationwide over the past 15 years. You can get solar incentives from your local utility company, the federal government or the Florida government. When you're prepared to make the switch to solar energy, talking to your local Upper Grand Lagoon solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Upper Grand Lagoon, FL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.