2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Oviedo, FL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Oviedo.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Oviedo solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Oviedo?
Solar and CHP Sales Tax Exemption
Property Tax Abatement for Renewable Energy Property
Non-Residential: 80% of the added value
Florida PACE programs
Lakeland Electric - Residential Energy Efficiency Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" includes a wide range of financial incentives implemented to make installing and using solar panels more affordable. This is done to encourage people to switch to renewable energy. You may be eligible for different types of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Florida and others from the federal government. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar system is up and running. If you have a net metering agreement with your Oviedo utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your monthly utility bill. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in other areas you might receive a refund equivalent to a percentage of the value.
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund given after you've purchased your solar panels. These might be offered by your local utility company, your state or your county. The rebates are usually applied before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government. (A tax credit is different from a tax deduction.)
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions are applied at the point of sale for your solar system. Property tax exemptions let you ignore the added value of your solar system when you're calculating the amount of property tax you need to pay on your home.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, federal incentives might be the first thing that comes to mind. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit that reduces your taxes by a certain percentage of the money you spend on solar panels for your home.
The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence in the United States that you own. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost — for panels, equipment, accessories and labor — although it may range from 26-30%, depending on the installation date of your solar system. There is no cap on the claim amount.
Your local Oviedo solar panel installation expert can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it may apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act laid out new provisions for the ITC, now dubbed the Clean Energy Credit. The Clean Energy Credit re-raises the credit up to 30% for solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032. At this point, the credit percentage will decrease slightly each year until the program expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Oviedo solar panel company can answer any questions you have and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives are often also provided at the state and local level. Similar to federal incentives, these may include tax credits, rebates and more. Certain incentives are offered for only a limited time, while others are ongoing. Your local solar incentives may come from the Florida government, or from your specific county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Oviedo
The large number of solar incentives available has enormously increased the use of solar power nationwide over the last 15 years. You might qualify for solar incentives from the Florida government, the federal government or your local utility company. Your local Oviedo solar panel installation expert can help you learn more about which incentives you can apply for, and get you started on the path to switching to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Oviedo, FL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.