2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Orange City, FL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Orange City.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Orange City solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Orange City?
Solar and CHP Sales Tax Exemption
Property Tax Abatement for Renewable Energy Property
Non-Residential: 80% of the added value
Florida PACE programs
Lakeland Electric - Residential Energy Efficiency Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
The phrase "solar incentives" broadly refers to financial incentives implemented by the government and by solar companies to encourage increased use of renewable energy by making the installation and use of solar panels more affordable. Incentives can include things like discounts, cash back or credit towards your monthly utility bill. Some incentives are offered by the federal government, while others are provided by the Florida government or your utility company, county or municipality. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Rebates: Rebates, or cash back after a purchase, are usually given before any solar tax credits are calculated. These rebates might be given by your local utility company, by your state or by your county.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions (not deductions) in how much in taxes you owe the government.
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in two forms. The first is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption. This allows you to exclude the added value of your solar system when calculating property tax for your home.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar panels are up and running. If you have in place a net metering agreement with your Orange City utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy your solar system produces from your monthly utility bill. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in others you might get refunded a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
When people think of solar incentives, federal incentives are likely the first thing that comes to mind. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a certain percentage of the cost of your solar system.
The ITC was originally for 30% of the cost of installing a solar system, although it has fluctuated slightly over time between 26-30%. The installation date of your solar system will determine what percentage you qualify for. The cost of installation includes the panels themselves as well as the cost of accessories, equipment and labor. There is no maximum claim amount. The ITC applies to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on your primary or secondary residence. The residence must be in the United States and owned by you.
Your local Orange City solar panel installation expert can provide you with more information about the ITC and how it might apply to your situation.
In August 2022, the ITC (now referred to as the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. The Clean Energy Credit is valid until 2035. Solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit. The amount will decrease slightly each year until the current program ends. The expansion to the program also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, starting in 2023.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Orange City solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions regarding the new Clean Energy Credit and how it may apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Some solar incentives may be provided by state and local governments. Like with federal incentives, these can include rebates, tax credits and more. These solar incentives — which might be given by the state of Florida, or by your county or municipality — might be offered for only a limited time, or on an ongoing basis.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Orange City
You can apply for solar incentives from the federal government and the Florida government, as well as from your local utility company. The increased availability of solar initiatives over the last 15 years has helped increase nationwide solar energy use enormously. Getting in touch with your local Orange City solar panel installation expert is the right first step towards making sure you get all the incentives you qualify for when you switch to solar energy.
EcoWatch's Orange City, FL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.