2023 Solar Incentives Guide for North Miami Beach, FL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in North Miami Beach.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted North Miami Beach solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in North Miami Beach?
Solar and CHP Sales Tax Exemption
Property Tax Abatement for Renewable Energy Property
Non-Residential: 80% of the added value
Florida PACE programs
Lakeland Electric - Residential Energy Efficiency Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to encourage homeowners to switch to renewable energy by providing financial incentives meant to lower the burden of solar panel installation and use. You may qualify for various types of incentives, such as cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, depending on your situation. Certain incentives come from your specific utility company, county or municipality, some from the state of Florida and others from the federal government. Some broad categories of solar incentives include:
- Tax Credits: Unlike tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the government.
- Rebates: A solar rebate is a partial refund after the purchase of your solar system. These may be offered by your local utility company, your county or your state. The rebates are usually applied before calculating tax credits.
- Net Metering: Net metering factors in after your solar system is up and running. If you've signed a net metering agreement with your North Miami Beach utility company, the company will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your utility bill each month. In some areas, this credit is dollar-for-dollar, while in other areas you may be refunded a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar system might qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions are effective at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions let you exclude the value that solar panels add when calculating property taxes on your house.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are likely to be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about solar incentives. The solar incentive that you're most likely to have heard of is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a predetermined percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost – for panels, equipment, labor and accessories – although it may range from 26-30%, depending on when your solar system was installed. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
To better understand exactly how much the ITC could save you, talk to your local North Miami Beach solar panel installer.
In August 2022, the ITC (now called the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. The Clean Energy Credit runs until 2035. Solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 may qualify for a 30% tax credit; the amount will decrease slightly each year until the current program ends. The program expansion also makes it easier to get credit for energy storage systems, beginning in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local North Miami Beach solar panel company can answer your questions and explain how the new Clean Energy Credit will apply to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Tax credits, rebates and more might be provided at multiple levels. In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones, too. Some incentives are ongoing, while others may only be available for a limited time. Incentives might be given by the Florida government, or by your county or municipality.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in North Miami Beach
Solar incentives may come from the federal government, the Florida government or your local utility company. The growing number of available solar incentives has facilitated the nationwide growth of solar energy use in the last 15 years. Speak with your local solar panel installation expert today to discover more about the various programs and to save as much money as possible on solar panels for your North Miami Beach home.
EcoWatch's North Miami Beach, FL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.