2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Margate, FL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Margate.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Margate solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Margate?
Solar and CHP Sales Tax Exemption
Property Tax Abatement for Renewable Energy Property
Non-Residential: 80% of the added value
Florida PACE programs
Lakeland Electric - Residential Energy Efficiency Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are meant to help mitigate the cost of installing a solar panel system on your home. This category of financial incentives is in place to encourage more homeowners to switch to renewable energy. Various types of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Some incentives may be handled by the Florida government, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits are dollar-for-dollar reductions in the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Rebates: Solar rebates might be offered by your state or county, or by your local utility company. These rebates are essentially cash back that is applied after you purchase a solar system and before tax credits are calculated.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar panels are up and running. If you have in place a net metering agreement with your Margate utility company, it will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some places, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in others you may get refunded a percentage of the value.
- Tax Exemptions: Sales tax exemptions go into effect at the point of sale for your solar system. Property tax exemptions allow you to ignore the value that your solar panels add when you're calculating the amount of property tax you need to pay on your house.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are probably the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about solar incentives. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. This is a tax credit equal to a specified percentage of the money you spend installing solar panels.
The ITC applies towards solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 and under this program you can deduct from your taxes a percentage of the total cost of solar panels, labor, accessories and equipment. This credit can be claimed on a solar panel system installed on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. Originally, you could claim 30% of the total cost, although certain projects may qualify for only 26%, depending on the details. There is no maximum amount you can claim.
To more fully understand how the ITC could apply to you, contact your local Margate solar panel installation expert and ask for more information.
In August 2022, the ITC (now called the Clean Energy Credit) was expanded and extended by the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act. Now, solar installation projects started after January 1, 2022 and completed by the end of 2032 can qualify for a 30% tax credit. This credit amount will then decrease slightly each year until the current Clean Energy Credit expires in 2035. Starting in 2023, the expansion will also make it easier to get credit for energy storage systems.
Click here to learn more about the new Inflation Reduction Act. Your local Margate solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions regarding the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
Rebates, tax credits and more might be claimed at multiple levels. Along with federal solar incentives, there are often state and local ones, too. These incentives — which might be provided by the state of Florida, or by your county or municipality — may be offered on an ongoing basis, or for only a limited time.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Margate
There are a variety of solar incentives: those provided by the federal government, those offered by the Florida government and those offered by local utility companies, to name a few. The use of solar energy has grown tremendously in the last 15 years, thanks to these incentives. If you're ready to switch over to solar energy, calling your local Margate solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Margate, FL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.