2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Haleyville, AL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Haleyville.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Haleyville solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Haleyville?
Wood-Burning Heating System Deduction
Local Option- Property Tax Exemption for Renewable Energy Faclities
Alabama Power - Residential Heat Pump Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are designed to mitigate the cost of installing a solar panel system on your home. Financial incentives like these are designed to encourage more Americans to make the switch to renewable energy. Different kinds of incentives, like cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Some incentives may be offered by the Alabama government, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. Some solar incentives you might qualify for are:
- Rebates: Solar rebates can be offered by your county or state, or by your local utility company. These rebates work as cash back that is applied after your purchase of a solar system and before tax credits are calculated.
- Tax Exemptions: Your solar panels could qualify for exemptions on both sales and property tax. Sales tax exemptions are effective at the time of purchase. Property tax exemptions let you ignore the value added by your solar panels when you are calculating property taxes on your house.
- Tax Credits: Tax credits lower, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax you owe the federal government. Tax credits differ from tax deductions.
- Net Metering: Net metering is an incentive you can get once your solar system is up and running. If you have a net metering agreement in place with your Haleyville utility company, they will subtract the value of the excess energy produced by your solar system from your monthly utility bill. In some locations, this is a dollar-for-dollar credit, while in other areas you might be refunded a percentage of the value.
Federal Solar Incentives
When thinking about solar incentives, you probably think of federal incentives first. You've likely heard of the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit, or ITC. The ITC is a tax credit equal to a specified percentage of the money you spend on your solar system.
The ITC applies to solar panels installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost — for panels, equipment, accessories and labor — although that amount may range from 26-30%, depending on when your solar project was undertaken. There is no cap on the claim amount.
To better understand exactly how much money the ITC could save you, speak with your local Haleyville solar panel installer.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. The Clean Energy Credit has increased the current credit up to 30% for solar systems installed between 2022 and 2032. After 2032, the credit percentage will see a slight decrease annually until the end of the program in 2035. The expansion to the program also makes credits for energy storage systems even easier to claim, starting in 2023.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. Your local Haleyville solar panel installation expert is the best person to answer your questions about the new Clean Energy Credit and how it applies to you.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often also state ones. Rebates, tax credits and more may be available at a more local level. These incentives might be provided by your county or municipality, or by the Alabama government. Some are ongoing, while others are available for a limited time.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Haleyville
There are many kinds of solar incentives: those offered by local utility companies, those offered by the Alabama government and those offered by the federal government, to name a few. The use of solar energy has increased tremendously in the last 15 years, partially due to these incentives. Your local Haleyville solar panel installation expert can provide you with more details about which incentives you can apply for, and get you on track to switch to renewable energy today.
EcoWatch's Haleyville, AL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.