2023 Solar Incentives Guide for Fairfield, AL - Tax Credits & Rebates
In this guide, we'll cover the latest solar incentives and rebates available in Fairfield.
You'll learn about:
- Local & State Solar Incentives
- Federal Tax Credits (Updated for 2023 and beyond)
- Ways to optimize your solar investment
Solar installers are experts in maximizing your solar tax credits and rebates.
Get a free quote from one of our trusted Fairfield solar installers to see how much you can save.
Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code!
Why you can trust EcoWatch
What Solar Tax Credits, Incentives, and Rebates are Available in Fairfield?
Wood-Burning Heating System Deduction
Local Option- Property Tax Exemption for Renewable Energy Faclities
Alabama Power - Residential Heat Pump Loan Program
Federal Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
Solar incentives are intended to make renewable energy usage more affordable via financial incentives to help people install solar panels on their homes. Different kinds of incentives, including cash back, discounts or credit towards your monthly utility bill, may be available to you. Certain incentives may be offered by the Alabama government, by your utility company or by county or municipality, while others are federal. Types of solar incentives might include:
- Tax Exemptions: Tax exemptions may come in one of two forms. First, there is sales tax exemption, applied at the time you purchase your solar panels. The second is property tax exemption, which allows you to ignore the added value of your solar system when paying property tax on your house.
- Net Metering: Be sure to speak to your Fairfield utility company about signing a net metering contract. This allows you to receive credit towards your monthly utility bill for the value of excess energy your solar panels generate. You might receive either a dollar-for-dollar credit or a percentage of the value.
- Tax Credits: Different from tax deductions, tax credits reduce, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of income tax that you owe the federal government.
- Rebates: Some solar companies will help you claim a rebate, or partial refund of your purchase, for your solar system. Counties or states will also sometimes offer limited-time rebates. The value of a rebate will usually come off the total price before tax credits are calculated.
Federal Solar Incentives
Federal solar incentives are probably the first thing that you think of when thinking about solar incentives. The solar incentive that you may be most familiar with is the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which provides a credit on your taxes equal to a specified percentage of your solar system's cost.
The ITC can be applied to solar systems installed after January 1, 2006 on a primary or secondary residence that you own in the United States. The credit initially covered 30% of the total cost — for panels, labor, equipment and accessories — although it may range from 26-30%, depending on when your solar project was undertaken. There is no cap on the amount you can claim.
Wondering how the ITC applies to your specific situation? Contact your local Fairfield solar panel installer to get more information.
In August 2022, the ITC (now titled the Clean Energy Credit) was bolstered by the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act. For solar systems installed between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2032, homeowners can receive a credit equal to 30% of the total cost. The percentage will then decrease annually until the Clean Energy Credit ends in 2035. Starting in 2023, the program expansion will also make claiming credit for energy storage systems easier than ever before.
More information about the new Inflation Reduction Act can be found here. The best way to fully understand how the new Clean Energy Credit might apply to you is to talk with your local Fairfield solar panel installers.
State & Local Solar Incentives
In addition to federal solar incentives, there are often also state ones. Rebates, tax credits and more might be available at a more local level. Certain incentives are ongoing, while others might only be available for a limited time. They may be offered by your county or municipality, or by the Alabama government.
Next Steps for Installing Solar in Fairfield
The variety of solar incentives available has helped tremendously increase the adoption of solar energy nationwide over the last 15 years. You might qualify for solar incentives from the federal government, the Alabama government or from your local utility company. If you're prepared to switch over to solar energy, talking to your local Fairfield solar panel installation expert is an excellent place to start.
EcoWatch's Fairfield, AL Solar Incentives FAQs
Our goal is to reach as many people as we can with sensible solutions like solar energy. Our team of full-time local researchers collects solar price and installation data for every city in America then compiles it to create these digestible city guides. If you want to read our solar expert's opinion on the top solar companies featured here, follow this link.