The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Solar Lamps, Electric Taxiing Plane Systems and More Sustainable Energy and Transportation Solutions
In 16 countries, 8D Technologies provides a smartphone app that streamlines your biking route and checks for station availability. Meanwhile, a solution from First African Bicycle Information Organization, also known as FABIO, shows how biking can mean the difference between life and death in Uganda.
Sustainia’s research team reviewed more than 900 projects in transportation, energy and eight other sectors before selecting the 10-category list of 100. The Sustainia100 Advisory Board consists of 21 sector experts from 11 international research organizations.
- Proterra: Rapidly charging electric buses for public transport
- 8D Technologies: Bike-sharing app connects users worldwide
- Maersk Container Industry: Refrigerated shipping cuts energy consumption
- BlaBlaCar: Ridesharing for people-powered transportation
- Transrail Sweden and Trafikverket: IT system for fuel-efficient railways
- LATAM Airlines Group and Honeywell: Second-generation biofuel for commercial flights
- ChargePoint: Large-scale EV charging with real-time availability
- Bhopal Municipal Corp.: Less congestion with bus rapid transit system
- Honeywell and Safran: Electric taxiing system for planes
- FABIO: Bicycling for better health in low-income communities
- Hydrogenics Corp.: Bridging renewable energy and natural gas dystems
- Gram Power: Smart microgrids for renewable energy access
- Energy Development Corp.: Harnessing geothermal energy while preserving forests
- Aquion Energy: Saltwater batteries to store the sun’s energy
- Government of El Hierro, Endesa and the Canary Islands Technological Institute: Autonomous energy system for remote islands
- Opower: Saving energy through data and cloud software
- SunLife: Solar lamps to replace kerosene lighting
- Abengoa: Solar plant with molten salt thermal energy storage
- Ambri: Liquid metal batteries for renewable energy storage
- Bjarne Schläger Design and Alfred Priess: Self-sufficient solar street lighting
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
The brushfires raging through New South Wales have shrouded Australia's largest city in a blanket of smoke that pushed the air quality index 12 times worse than the hazardous threshold, according to the Australia Broadcast Corporation (ABC).
By David B. Goldstein
Energy efficiency is the cornerstone of any country's plan to fight the climate crisis. It is the cheapest option available, and one that as often as not comes along with other benefits, such as job creation, comfort and compatibility with other key solutions such as renewable energy. This has been recognized by the International Energy Agency (IEA) for at least a decade.
By Andrea Germanos
Over 500 groups on Monday rolled out an an action plan for the next president's first days of office to address the climate emergency and set the nation on a transformative path towards zero emissions and a just transition in their first days in office.