The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
7 Delicious Ways to Make Oatmeal
& the Many Health Benefits
Medically reviewed by Hrefna Palsdottir, MS
If your breakfast options need a healthy shake-up, look no further than oats — and more specifically, oatmeal.
Oats pack a nutritious punch as they're a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
Half a cup (78 grams) of dry oats contains a whopping 13 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber.
They also contain:
- Manganese: 191% RDI
- Phosphorus: 41% RDI
- Magnesium: 34% RDI
- Copper: 24% RDI
- Iron: 20% RDI
- Zinc: 20% RDI
- Folate: 11% RDI
- Vitamin B-1 (thiamin): 39% RDI
- Vitamin B-5 (pantothenic acid): 10% RDI
Known scientifically as Avena sativa, this whole grain is suggested to offer a number of health benefits including:
- aiding in weight loss
- lowering blood sugar levels
- reducing risk of heart disease
For some inspiration to get you started, check out some of these delicious ideas that we found on Instagram.
1. Banana, passion fruit, mango, and coconut mylk oatmeal via @thefitfabfoodie
2. Ginger, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
3. Cinnamon, figs, almond butter, oats, and nuts bircher bowl with coconut yogurt via @twospoons.ca
4. Peanut butter, caramelized bananas, raspberries, and vegan protein chocolate oatmeal via @xanjuschx
5. Apple butter and nut and seed granola oatmeal with homemade sweetened condensed almond milk via @looneyforfood
6. Cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
7. Runny egg, kale, and portobello mushroom oatmeal with vegetable stock via @honeysuckle
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
- The 18 Best Healthy Foods to Buy in Bulk (And the Worst) - EcoWatch ›
- Soothe Your Pain With This Mango CBD Oil Smoothie - EcoWatch ›
- Beet It! 11 Nutrition-Packed Smoothies Featuring Beets - EcoWatch ›
- 8 Detox Salad Recipes to Kick-Start Healthy Eating - EcoWatch ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
The statistics around threatened species are looking grim. A new report by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has added more than 9,000 new additions to its Red List of threatened species, pushing the total number of species on the list to more than 105,000 for the first time, according to the Guardian.
By Kristy Dahl
Last week, UCS released Killer Heat, a report analyzing how the frequency of days with a dangerously hot heat index — the combination of temperature and humidity the National Weather Service calls the "feels like" temperature — will change in response to the global emissions choices we make in the coming decades.
Green is the new black at Zara.
The Spanish fast fashion behemoth has made a bold move to steer its industry to a more environmentally friendly future for textiles. Inditex, Zara's parent company, announced that all the polyester, cotton and linen it uses will be sustainably produced by 2025, as CNN reported.