The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
7 Delicious Ways to Make Oatmeal
& the Many Health Benefits
Medically reviewed by Hrefna Palsdottir, MS
If your breakfast options need a healthy shake-up, look no further than oats — and more specifically, oatmeal.
Oats pack a nutritious punch as they're a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
Half a cup (78 grams) of dry oats contains a whopping 13 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber.
They also contain:
- Manganese: 191% RDI
- Phosphorus: 41% RDI
- Magnesium: 34% RDI
- Copper: 24% RDI
- Iron: 20% RDI
- Zinc: 20% RDI
- Folate: 11% RDI
- Vitamin B-1 (thiamin): 39% RDI
- Vitamin B-5 (pantothenic acid): 10% RDI
Known scientifically as Avena sativa, this whole grain is suggested to offer a number of health benefits including:
- aiding in weight loss
- lowering blood sugar levels
- reducing risk of heart disease
For some inspiration to get you started, check out some of these delicious ideas that we found on Instagram.
1. Banana, passion fruit, mango, and coconut mylk oatmeal via @thefitfabfoodie
2. Ginger, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
3. Cinnamon, figs, almond butter, oats, and nuts bircher bowl with coconut yogurt via @twospoons.ca
4. Peanut butter, caramelized bananas, raspberries, and vegan protein chocolate oatmeal via @xanjuschx
5. Apple butter and nut and seed granola oatmeal with homemade sweetened condensed almond milk via @looneyforfood
6. Cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
7. Runny egg, kale, and portobello mushroom oatmeal with vegetable stock via @honeysuckle
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Jeff Turrentine
First off: Bangkok Wakes to Rain, the intricately wrought, elegantly crafted debut novel by the Thai-American author Pitchaya Sudbanthad, isn't really about climate change. This tale set in the sprawling subtropical Thai capital is ultimately a kind of family saga — although its interconnected characters aren't necessarily linked by a bloodline. What binds them is their relationship to a small parcel of urban land on which has variously stood a Christian mission, an upper-class family house, and a towering condominium. All of the characters have either called this place home or had some other significant connection to it.
Maine Gov. Janet Mills signed a bill into law Thursday banning public schools or universities in the state from using Native American mascots, names or imagery. Mills' action will make Maine the first state in the nation with such a ban once it goes into effect later this year, The Bangor Daily News reported.
Inslee's 'Evergreen Economy Plan' Calls for $9 Trillion Investment in New Green Jobs, Would Help Fossil Fuel Workers Transition
By Julia Conley
A new climate action plan put forth by Democratic presidential candidate Gov. Jay Inslee on Thursday is being praised for highlighting the enormous benefits that would result from a rapid shift in the U.S. to a renewable energy economy that centers on the needs of workers and vulnerable communities.