The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
7 Delicious Ways to Make Oatmeal
& the Many Health Benefits
Medically reviewed by Hrefna Palsdottir, MS
If your breakfast options need a healthy shake-up, look no further than oats — and more specifically, oatmeal.
Oats pack a nutritious punch as they're a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
Half a cup (78 grams) of dry oats contains a whopping 13 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber.
They also contain:
- Manganese: 191% RDI
- Phosphorus: 41% RDI
- Magnesium: 34% RDI
- Copper: 24% RDI
- Iron: 20% RDI
- Zinc: 20% RDI
- Folate: 11% RDI
- Vitamin B-1 (thiamin): 39% RDI
- Vitamin B-5 (pantothenic acid): 10% RDI
Known scientifically as Avena sativa, this whole grain is suggested to offer a number of health benefits including:
- aiding in weight loss
- lowering blood sugar levels
- reducing risk of heart disease
For some inspiration to get you started, check out some of these delicious ideas that we found on Instagram.
1. Banana, passion fruit, mango, and coconut mylk oatmeal via @thefitfabfoodie
2. Ginger, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
3. Cinnamon, figs, almond butter, oats, and nuts bircher bowl with coconut yogurt via @twospoons.ca
4. Peanut butter, caramelized bananas, raspberries, and vegan protein chocolate oatmeal via @xanjuschx
5. Apple butter and nut and seed granola oatmeal with homemade sweetened condensed almond milk via @looneyforfood
6. Cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
7. Runny egg, kale, and portobello mushroom oatmeal with vegetable stock via @honeysuckle
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
A team of scientists drilled into the ground near the South Pole to discover forest and fossils from the Cretaceous nearly 90 million years ago, which is the time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, as the BBC reported.
Oil rigs around the world keep pulling crude oil out of the ground, but the global pandemic has sent shockwaves into the market. The supply is up, but demand has plummeted now that industry has ground to a halt, highways are empty, and airplanes are parked in hangars.