The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
7 Delicious Ways to Make Oatmeal
& the Many Health Benefits
Medically reviewed by Hrefna Palsdottir, MS
If your breakfast options need a healthy shake-up, look no further than oats — and more specifically, oatmeal.
Oats pack a nutritious punch as they're a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
Half a cup (78 grams) of dry oats contains a whopping 13 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber.
They also contain:
- Manganese: 191% RDI
- Phosphorus: 41% RDI
- Magnesium: 34% RDI
- Copper: 24% RDI
- Iron: 20% RDI
- Zinc: 20% RDI
- Folate: 11% RDI
- Vitamin B-1 (thiamin): 39% RDI
- Vitamin B-5 (pantothenic acid): 10% RDI
Known scientifically as Avena sativa, this whole grain is suggested to offer a number of health benefits including:
- aiding in weight loss
- lowering blood sugar levels
- reducing risk of heart disease
For some inspiration to get you started, check out some of these delicious ideas that we found on Instagram.
1. Banana, passion fruit, mango, and coconut mylk oatmeal via @thefitfabfoodie
2. Ginger, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
3. Cinnamon, figs, almond butter, oats, and nuts bircher bowl with coconut yogurt via @twospoons.ca
4. Peanut butter, caramelized bananas, raspberries, and vegan protein chocolate oatmeal via @xanjuschx
5. Apple butter and nut and seed granola oatmeal with homemade sweetened condensed almond milk via @looneyforfood
6. Cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and banana oatmeal with almond milk via @plantbasedrd
7. Runny egg, kale, and portobello mushroom oatmeal with vegetable stock via @honeysuckle
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
The Return of a Relative: Tribal Communities in the Northern Great Plains Rally Around Bison Restoration
By Clay Bolt
On Oct. 11 people around the world celebrated the release of four plains bison onto a snow-covered butte in Badlands National Park, South Dakota.
The climate crisis has put at least 945 designated toxic waste sites at severe risk of disaster from escalating wildfires, floods, rising seas and other climate-related disasters, according to a new study from the non-partisan Government Accountability Office (GAO), as the AP reported.
By Bailey Hopp
If you had to choose a diamond for your engagement ring from below or above the ground, which would you pick … and why would you pick it? This is the main question consumers are facing when picking out their diamond engagement ring today. With a dramatic increase in demand for conflict-free lab-grown diamonds, the diamond industry is shifting right before our eyes.
For one year Rob Greenfield grew and foraged all of his own food. No grocery stores, no restaurants, no going to a bar for a drink, not even medicines from the pharmacy.