Climate Activists Prepare for November Election
Democratic party power players and funders, green groups, and Joe Biden's campaign rolled out multiple climate-focused initiatives this week, signaling climate change's likely starring role in the upcoming election despite the coronavirus pandemic.
On Wednesday, Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders each selected representatives to sit on six Democratic "unity" task forces, which will play a key role in shaping the Democratic party platform going forward. The climate change task force will be co-chaired by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and former Secretary of State John Kerry, by far the most high-profile co-chairs of any of the policy task forces. The group Climate Power 2020, launched Wednesday with backing from the Center for American Progress Action Fund, the League of Conservation Voters, and the Sierra Club, is made up of veterans of Democratic campaigns, policy, and advocacy, and will focus on swing states.
On Thursday, former Jay Inslee staffers formally launched Evergreen Action, which aims to push Congress and Biden on climate issues, while 175 climate organizations in the USCAN network rolled out Arm In Arm, which will focus on combating climate change while protecting workers and front line communities.
For a deeper dive:
Biden-Sanders unity commissions: Vox, Axios, Politico, NPR, Roll Call, InsideClimate News. Climate Power 2020: Axios, Pennsylvania Capital-Star, [Tampa] Bay News 9, Evergreen: Washington Post, The Hill. Arm in Arm: Politico Pro
- Activist Tom Steyer Announces Big-Spending Election Plan to Take ... ›
- Green New Deal Champion AOC Will Serve on Biden Climate Panel ... ›
- The Environment Is on the November Ballot — Here's Where and ... ›
- Voting Is Now a Public Health Issue ›
- Trump and Biden: Little Room for Climate Change in 2020 Election - EcoWatch ›
- These Races Will Shape How U.S. Elections Affect Climate Progress - EcoWatch ›
- Climate Campaigners Mobilize for Election Nationwide, Vowing to 'Crush Trump' - EcoWatch ›