Noam Chomsky: The Biggest Problem We Face, Destruction of the Environment
Does Noam Chomsky want to see Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders in the White House come November? Of the current crop of candidates, Chomsky believes Bernie Sanders would have the best policies—even though he may not be the socialist he proclaims he is.
"Bernie Sanders may call himself a socialist, but he's basically a New Dealer in the current American political system," Chomsky said.
WATCH: @mehdirhasan speaks to Noam Chomsky about the US presidential election: https://t.co/KN3nsMwbCY #Election2016 https://t.co/ibPmsRJhjP— UpFront (@UpFront)1455023864.0
A New Dealer, he explains, is someone who is way out on the left. "Eisenhower, for example, who said anyone who questions the New Deal doesn't belong in our political system would be regarded as a raging leftist," Chomsky said. "So, Bernie Sanders is a decent, honest New Dealer."
Still, Chomsky fears that with our current system, Sanders doesn't have much of a chance. While Chomsky prefers Sanders, he emphasizes the importance of putting a Democrat in the White House.
"There are differences in the parties," he responds, when asked if he'd even consider a Republican over Hillary Clinton. "Small differences [coupled with] great power can have enormous consequences," he said.
To Chomsky's point, enormous consequences also apply to not voting, especially in a swing state. "Abstaining from voting is a vote for the Republican candidate [should he win]," he continued. "My vote would be against the Republican candidate in a swing state [and] I said the same thing with Obama."
In Chomsky's opinion, the main difference between the two parties is Islamophobia. All Republican candidates are against the Iran deal and Ted Cruz has actually suggested "carpet-bombing" the Middle East, something no Democrat has proposed in any debate.
"Every time you hit them with a sledgehammer, you expand [the problem]. You have to deal with a situation rationally if you want to be humane but even concerned with your own security," Chomsky said.
Noam Chomsky has written more than 100 books and has taught for more than half a century. Like Bernie Sanders, he has been speaking on the same ideals for more than five decades.
Watch: Noam Chomsky's full conversation with Mehdi Hasan of Al Jazeera English:
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
By Julia Conley
Conservation campaigners on Thursday accused President Donald Trump of taking a "wrecking ball" to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge as the White House announced plans to move ahead with the sale of drilling leases in the 19 million-acre coastal preserve, despite widespread, bipartisan opposition to oil and gas extraction there.
The Sheenjek River in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Alexis Bonogofsky / USFWS
- Bipartisan Bill Seeks to Ban Drilling in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge ›
- Bank of America Promises It Won't Fund Arctic Drilling - EcoWatch ›
- Trump's Drilling Leases on Public Lands Could Lead to 4.7B Metric ... ›
- Trump Administration's Alaska Oil and Gas Lease Sale a 'Major Flop ... ›
- Will Oil Companies Drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
Hot, dry and windy conditions fueled a wildfire southeast of Los Angeles Thursday that injured two firefighters and forced 25,000 to flee their homes.
- 'Explosive' Southern California Lake Fire Spreads to 10,000 Acres ... ›
- A Gender-Reveal Party Started a Wildfire That Burned Nearly ... ›
- Wildfire in LA Burns 7,000 Acres During Record-Setting Heat Wave ... ›
The climate crisis already has a death toll, and it will get worse if we don't act to reduce emissions.
- 'Every Child Born Today Will Be Profoundly Affected by Climate ... ›
- Coronavirus Response Proves the World Can Act on Climate Change ›
- 5 Things About Climate Change and Coronavirus From WHO ... ›
By Stuart Braun
The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres addressed the dire threat of climate change Wednesday in a speech on the state of the planet delivered at Columbia University in New York.
- UN: Climate Crisis Has Doubled Natural Disasters in Last 20 Years ... ›
- Countries Pledge to Reverse Destruction of Nature After Missing ... ›
- 13 Must-Read Climate Change Reports for 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- The UN Wants to Protect 30% of the Planet by 2030 - EcoWatch ›
If you've been wanting to try CBD oil but have been concerned about the price, know that not only can you purchase affordable CBD oil, but you also can purchase high quality CBD oil at those affordable prices.