Microsoft's data center in Cheyenne, Wyoming.Microsoft
With the latest deal, the company now purchases more than 500 megawatts of wind energy in the country. According to Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the top 50 corporate buyers of solar and wind power in the U.S. will add more than 17 gigawatts by 2020, as the role of companies in combating climate change is expected to become even more important under a Trump administration.
"This investment in wind energy keeps us on pace to meet the energy goals we set last spring," Brad Smith of Microsoft said in a blog post. "We announced earlier this year that roughly 44 percent of the electricity consumed by Microsoft's datacenters comes from wind, solar and hydropower, and we committed to raising this to 50 percent by 2018 and to 60 percent by early in the next decade.
"Innovation and sustainability go hand in hand. We're thinking differently about our datacenters and how we can build and operate them in a more sustainable way. And the innovations we're piloting in this deal are not only good for business, but also good for local communities and the environment as well."
For a deeper dive:
Commentary: The Conversation, Joe Arvai op-ed
Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere hit a new record in 2019 and have continued climbing this year, despite lockdowns and other measures to curb the pandemic, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Monday, citing preliminary data.
- 13 Must-Read Climate Change Reports for 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- Large Methane Leaks Soar 32% Despite Lockdowns and Green ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
These black-and-white lizards could be the punchline of a joke, except the situation is no laughing matter.
By Isabella Garcia
September in Portland, Oregon, usually brings a slight chill to the air and an orange tinge to the leaves. This year, it brought smoke so thick it burned your throat and made your eyes strain to see more than 20 feet in front of you.
- 16 Essential Books About Environmental Justice, Racism and Activism ›
- 7 Devastating Photos of Wildfires in California, Oregon and ... ›
- Several West Coast Cities Have the World's Worst Air - EcoWatch ›
- Extremely Rare Leopard Cubs Born in Connecticut Zoo - EcoWatch ›
- Small Wild Cats Face Big Threats Including Lack of Conservation ... ›
- 5 Species Bouncing Back From the Brink of Extinction - EcoWatch ›