Interactive Map: Find Out Which Country Is Most Responsible for Climate Change
Which country is most responsible for climate change? It’s a big question, with weighty consequences for decisions on who should take the lead in tackling the rise in emissions.
It combines year-by-year CO2 emissions from fossil fuels and cement with gridded population data. You can read Saussay’s methodology by following the tab in the interactive.
Here’s a time lapse video by Saussay showing where emissions have historically come from and how cumulative emissions have built up over time:
The emissions data comes from the Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center. It excludes other greenhouse gases and emissions associated with land use change and forestry.
It’s also worth noting that the data coverage varies by country. It goes back all the way to 1751 for the UK, with Germany from 1792, the U.S. from 1800, India from 1858 and China from 1899.
The gridded population data is from the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere hit a new record in 2019 and have continued climbing this year, despite lockdowns and other measures to curb the pandemic, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Monday, citing preliminary data.
- 13 Must-Read Climate Change Reports for 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- Large Methane Leaks Soar 32% Despite Lockdowns and Green ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
These black-and-white lizards could be the punchline of a joke, except the situation is no laughing matter.
By Isabella Garcia
September in Portland, Oregon, usually brings a slight chill to the air and an orange tinge to the leaves. This year, it brought smoke so thick it burned your throat and made your eyes strain to see more than 20 feet in front of you.
- 16 Essential Books About Environmental Justice, Racism and Activism ›
- 7 Devastating Photos of Wildfires in California, Oregon and ... ›
- Several West Coast Cities Have the World's Worst Air - EcoWatch ›
- Extremely Rare Leopard Cubs Born in Connecticut Zoo - EcoWatch ›
- Small Wild Cats Face Big Threats Including Lack of Conservation ... ›
- 5 Species Bouncing Back From the Brink of Extinction - EcoWatch ›