Keep Looking Forward: 20 Instagram Accounts for Environmental Inspiration
A person stands on a cliff overlooking Geiranger, Norway. Marco Bottigelli / Getty Images
By John R. Platt
These days many of us have a natural inclination to “doomscroll” — that constant refreshing of social media so we can gnash our teeth at the most recent bad news.
There’s an alternative. Let’s call it hopescrolling — the art and act of looking for beautiful things and important information to keep us inspired.
With the pandemic and election results still looming over our heads, here are 20 of our favorite nature- and environment-related Instagram accounts. May they fill your days with beauty and drive you to fight for the planet.
Some of the best photos from the app that helps scientists and everyday citizens keep track of the natural world.
John R. Platt is the editor of The Revelator. An award-winning environmental journalist, his work has appeared in Scientific American, Audubon, Motherboard, and numerous other magazines and publications. His “Extinction Countdown” column has run continuously since 2004 and has covered news and science related to more than 1,000 endangered species. He is a member of the Society of Environmental Journalists and the National Association of Science Writers. John lives on the outskirts of Portland, Ore., where he finds himself surrounded by animals and cartoonists.
Reposted with permission from The Revelator.
- Meghan and Harry Roll Out Environmental Campaign While Royals ...
- Climate Champion David Attenborough Breaks Jennifer Aniston's ...
- 7 Instagram Accounts Every Nature Lover Should Be Following ...
- 9 Environmental Docs to Watch During the Coronavirus Lockdown - EcoWatch
- New Chameleon Species May Be World’s Smallest Reptile - EcoWatch
- Butterfly Count in UK Is Lowest on Record - EcoWatch