The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Hot Dog, Hamburger Buns Recalled Over Possible Plastic Contamination
If you're aiming for a plastic-free cookout this summer, you might have to check in an unexpected place: your hamburger or hot dog buns.
Georgia-based Flowers Foods is recalling buns and other bakery products sold at major retailers including Walmart, Sam's Club, Dollar General and Target because they might be contaminated with small pieces of hard plastic, WSIL reported.
The company announced the recall Tuesday after discovering pieces of hard plastic in production equipment.
"Consumption of product may cause a choking hazard," Flowers Foods said.
However, there have been no reports of injury so far.
The recall impacts a number of brand names distributed in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
Impacted stores include 7-Eleven, Walmart, Target, Piggly Wiggly, Publix, Ingles and IGA, while the recalled brands include Wonder, Great Value, Market Pantry, Nature's Own and Sunbeam, WebMD reported.
The affected products all have best-by dates of July 17 to 19.
Below is a full list of the impacted products. For UPC codes and lot numbers, check the Flowers website or the Food and Drug Administration.
- 7-ELEVEN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- BRAVO 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CBC NATHANS 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CLOVER VALLEY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CLOVER VALLEY 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FAMILY STYLE 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FAMILY STYLE 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FLOWERS 12CT BRATWURST BUNS
- FLOWERS 8CT 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FLOWERS BBQ BREAD
- FLOWERS ENRICHED ROLLS
- FLOWERS RESTAURANT 12CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FOOD DEPOT 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FOOD DEPOT 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- GRISSOM'S MILL 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- HITCHCOCK'S 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- HOME PRIDE 16CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IDEAL 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IDEAL 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- IGA 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IGA 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- INGLES BBQ BREAD
- LAURA LYNN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- LAURA LYNN 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- LAURA LYNN DINNER ROLLS
- L'OVEN FRESH 8CT KAISER BUNS
- MARKET PANTRY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- MARKET PANTRY 8 CT HOT DOG BUNS
- MEMBERS MARK 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS 3 PK
- NATURAL GRAIN 12CT HOT DOG BUNS
- NATURAL GRAIN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- NATURE'S OWN 8CT 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- NATURE'S OWN 8CT BUTTER HAMBURGER BUNS
- OVEN FRESH 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- OVEN FRESH 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- PIGGLY WIGGLY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- PIGGLY WIGGLY 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- PUBLIX 12CT BROWN & SERVE ROLLS
- PUBLIX 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- PUBLIX 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- SE GROCERS 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SE GROCERS 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- SEDANO'S 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SUNBEAM 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SUNBEAM 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- WM 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS (PAN PARA SANDWICH)
- WONDER 12CT DINNER ROLLS
- WONDER 24CT DINNER ROLLS
- WONDER 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- WONDER 8CT HONEY HAMBURGER BUNS
- WONDER 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- WONDER PULL-A-PART BBQ BREAD
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Emily Deanne
Shower shoes? Check. Extra-long sheets? Yep. Energy efficiency checklist? No worries — we've got you covered there. If you're one of the nation's 12.1 million full-time undergraduate college students, you no doubt have a lot to keep in mind as you head off to school. If you're reading this, climate change is probably one of them, and with one-third of students choosing to live on campus, dorm life can have a big impact on the health of our planet. In fact, the annual energy use of one typical dormitory room can generate as much greenhouse gas pollution as the tailpipe emissions of a car driven more than 156,000 miles.
By Lorraine Chow
Kokia drynarioides is a small but significant flowering tree endemic to Hawaii's dry forests. Native Hawaiians used its large, scarlet flowers to make lei. Its sap was used as dye for ropes and nets. Its bark was used medicinally to treat thrush.
States that invest heavily in renewable energy will generate billions of dollars in health benefits in the next decade instead of spending billions to take care of people getting sick from air pollution caused by burning fossil fuels, according to a new study from MIT and reported on by The Verge.
Hawaii's Kilauea volcano could be gearing up for an eruption after a pond of water was discovered inside its summit crater for the first time in recorded history, according to the AP.
By Kristin Ohlson
From where I stand inside the South Dakota cornfield I was visiting with entomologist and former USDA scientist Jonathan Lundgren, all the human-inflicted traumas to Earth seem far away. It isn't just that the corn is as high as an elephant's eye — are people singing that song again? — but that the field burgeons and buzzes and chirps with all sorts of other life, too.
Humanity faced its hottest month in at least 140 years in July, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said on Thursday. The finding confirms similar analysis provided by its EU counterparts.
By Hans Nicholas Jong
Indonesia's president has made permanent a temporary moratorium on forest-clearing permits for plantations and logging.
It's a policy the government says has proven effective in curtailing deforestation, but whose apparent gains have been criticized by environmental activists as mere "propaganda."