The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Hot Dog, Hamburger Buns Recalled Over Possible Plastic Contamination
If you're aiming for a plastic-free cookout this summer, you might have to check in an unexpected place: your hamburger or hot dog buns.
Georgia-based Flowers Foods is recalling buns and other bakery products sold at major retailers including Walmart, Sam's Club, Dollar General and Target because they might be contaminated with small pieces of hard plastic, WSIL reported.
The company announced the recall Tuesday after discovering pieces of hard plastic in production equipment.
"Consumption of product may cause a choking hazard," Flowers Foods said.
However, there have been no reports of injury so far.
The recall impacts a number of brand names distributed in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
Impacted stores include 7-Eleven, Walmart, Target, Piggly Wiggly, Publix, Ingles and IGA, while the recalled brands include Wonder, Great Value, Market Pantry, Nature's Own and Sunbeam, WebMD reported.
The affected products all have best-by dates of July 17 to 19.
Below is a full list of the impacted products. For UPC codes and lot numbers, check the Flowers website or the Food and Drug Administration.
- 7-ELEVEN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- BRAVO 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CBC NATHANS 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CLOVER VALLEY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CLOVER VALLEY 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FAMILY STYLE 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FAMILY STYLE 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FLOWERS 12CT BRATWURST BUNS
- FLOWERS 8CT 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FLOWERS BBQ BREAD
- FLOWERS ENRICHED ROLLS
- FLOWERS RESTAURANT 12CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FOOD DEPOT 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FOOD DEPOT 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- GRISSOM'S MILL 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- HITCHCOCK'S 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- HOME PRIDE 16CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IDEAL 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IDEAL 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- IGA 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IGA 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- INGLES BBQ BREAD
- LAURA LYNN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- LAURA LYNN 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- LAURA LYNN DINNER ROLLS
- L'OVEN FRESH 8CT KAISER BUNS
- MARKET PANTRY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- MARKET PANTRY 8 CT HOT DOG BUNS
- MEMBERS MARK 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS 3 PK
- NATURAL GRAIN 12CT HOT DOG BUNS
- NATURAL GRAIN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- NATURE'S OWN 8CT 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- NATURE'S OWN 8CT BUTTER HAMBURGER BUNS
- OVEN FRESH 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- OVEN FRESH 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- PIGGLY WIGGLY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- PIGGLY WIGGLY 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- PUBLIX 12CT BROWN & SERVE ROLLS
- PUBLIX 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- PUBLIX 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- SE GROCERS 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SE GROCERS 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- SEDANO'S 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SUNBEAM 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SUNBEAM 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- WM 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS (PAN PARA SANDWICH)
- WONDER 12CT DINNER ROLLS
- WONDER 24CT DINNER ROLLS
- WONDER 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- WONDER 8CT HONEY HAMBURGER BUNS
- WONDER 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- WONDER PULL-A-PART BBQ BREAD
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Brian Barth
Late fall, after the last crops have been harvested, is a time to rest and reflect on the successes and challenges of the gardening year. But for those whose need to putter around in the garden doesn't end when cold weather comes, there's surely a few lingering chores. Get them done now and you'll be ahead of the game in spring.
By Bailey Hopp
If you had to choose a diamond for your engagement ring from below or above the ground, which would you pick … and why would you pick it? This is the main question consumers are facing when picking out their diamond engagement ring today. With a dramatic increase in demand for conflict-free lab-grown diamonds, the diamond industry is shifting right before our eyes.
(R) The measles virus pictured under a microscope. PHIL / CDC
The Pacific Island nation of Samoa declared a state of emergency this week, closed all of its schools and limited the number of public gatherings allowed after a measles outbreak has swept across the country of just 200,000 people, according to Reuters.
By Alison Cagle
Rising above the Arizona desert, the Santa Rita Mountains cradle 10,000 years of Indigenous history. The Tohono O'odham Nation, Pascua Yaqui Tribe, and Hopi Tribe, among numerous other tribes, have worshipped, foraged, hunted and laid their ancestors to rest in the mountains for generations.
Native Americans are disproportionately without access to clean water, according to a new report, "Closing the Water Access Gap in the United States: A National Action Plan," to be released this afternoon, which shows that more than two million Americans do not have access to access to running water, indoor plumbing or wastewater services.
By Nanticha Ocharoenchai
In the Czech Republic, horses have become the knights in shining armor. A study published in the Journal for Nature Conservation suggests that returning feral horses to grasslands in Podyjí National Park could help boost the numbers of several threatened butterfly species.