The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Hot Dog, Hamburger Buns Recalled Over Possible Plastic Contamination
If you're aiming for a plastic-free cookout this summer, you might have to check in an unexpected place: your hamburger or hot dog buns.
Georgia-based Flowers Foods is recalling buns and other bakery products sold at major retailers including Walmart, Sam's Club, Dollar General and Target because they might be contaminated with small pieces of hard plastic, WSIL reported.
The company announced the recall Tuesday after discovering pieces of hard plastic in production equipment.
"Consumption of product may cause a choking hazard," Flowers Foods said.
However, there have been no reports of injury so far.
The recall impacts a number of brand names distributed in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
Impacted stores include 7-Eleven, Walmart, Target, Piggly Wiggly, Publix, Ingles and IGA, while the recalled brands include Wonder, Great Value, Market Pantry, Nature's Own and Sunbeam, WebMD reported.
The affected products all have best-by dates of July 17 to 19.
Below is a full list of the impacted products. For UPC codes and lot numbers, check the Flowers website or the Food and Drug Administration.
- 7-ELEVEN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- BRAVO 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CBC NATHANS 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CLOVER VALLEY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- CLOVER VALLEY 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FAMILY STYLE 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FAMILY STYLE 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FLOWERS 12CT BRATWURST BUNS
- FLOWERS 8CT 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FLOWERS BBQ BREAD
- FLOWERS ENRICHED ROLLS
- FLOWERS RESTAURANT 12CT HOT DOG BUNS
- FOOD DEPOT 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- FOOD DEPOT 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- GREAT VALUE 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- GRISSOM'S MILL 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- HITCHCOCK'S 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- HOME PRIDE 16CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IDEAL 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IDEAL 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- IGA 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- IGA 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- INGLES BBQ BREAD
- LAURA LYNN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- LAURA LYNN 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- LAURA LYNN DINNER ROLLS
- L'OVEN FRESH 8CT KAISER BUNS
- MARKET PANTRY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- MARKET PANTRY 8 CT HOT DOG BUNS
- MEMBERS MARK 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS 3 PK
- NATURAL GRAIN 12CT HOT DOG BUNS
- NATURAL GRAIN 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- NATURE'S OWN 8CT 100% WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS
- NATURE'S OWN 8CT BUTTER HAMBURGER BUNS
- OVEN FRESH 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- OVEN FRESH 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- PIGGLY WIGGLY 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- PIGGLY WIGGLY 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- PUBLIX 12CT BROWN & SERVE ROLLS
- PUBLIX 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- PUBLIX 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- SE GROCERS 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SE GROCERS 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- SEDANO'S 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SUNBEAM 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- SUNBEAM 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- WM 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS (PAN PARA SANDWICH)
- WONDER 12CT DINNER ROLLS
- WONDER 24CT DINNER ROLLS
- WONDER 8CT HAMBURGER BUNS
- WONDER 8CT HONEY HAMBURGER BUNS
- WONDER 8CT HOT DOG BUNS
- WONDER PULL-A-PART BBQ BREAD
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Richard Connor
Scientists have recorded Antarctica's first documented heat wave, warning that animal and plant life on the isolated continent could be drastically affected by climate change.
A case that has bounced around the lower courts for 13 years was finally settled yesterday when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a lower court decision, finding oil giant Citgo liable for a clean up of a 2004 oil spill in the Delaware River, according to Reuters.
The evidence continues to build that breathing dirty air is bad for your brain.
By Paul Brown
The amount of energy generated by tides and waves in the last decade has increased tenfold. Now governments around the world are planning to scale up these ventures to tap into the oceans' vast store of blue energy.
When the novel coronavirus started to sweep across the country, the National Park Service started to waive entrance fees. The idea was that as we started to practice social distancing, Americans should have unfettered access to the outdoors. Then the parking lots and the visitor centers started to fill up, worrying park employees.