The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
Forest Forum for Big Creek Watershed
Ohio urban forests are at risk. Healthy urban forests are the ultimate in green infrastructure—the most extensive and least expensive way to help attenuate stormwater runoff, increase property values and protect streams.
The Cuyahoga River Remedial Action Plan (RAP), with support from the Cuyahoga Soil and Water Conservation District, Friends of Big Creek and the Ohio Environmental Education Fund, is hosting a Forest Forum with the goal of enhancing forest cover in Big Creek watershed communities (Cleveland, Brooklyn, Linndale, Parma, Parma Heights, Brook Park, North Royalton). The event is Jan. 12 from 2 - 5 pm and 5:30 - 8:30 pm at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo administration building auditorium (next to Zoo’s main entrance) at 3900 Wildlife Way, Cleveland 44109.
• receive updated maps of their city’s forest cover and streams.
• help identify priority restoration sites to target funding for restoration.
• have an opportunity to send a representative from their city to Tree Commission Academy.
• receive and inventory of their city’s forest, tree protection, mitigation and restoration ordinances and policies, and be eligible for ongoing assistance in updating and implementing them.
• be eligible for funding and pilot restoration projects in their community.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Tara Lohan
In 2017 the Thomas fire raged through 281,893 acres in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, California, leaving in its wake a blackened expanse of land, burned vegetation, and more than 1,000 destroyed buildings.
By Danielle Nierenberg and Katherine Walla
As the holiday season ramps up for many across the world, Food Tank is highlighting 15 children's books that will introduce young eaters, growers and innovators to the world of food and agriculture. Authors and organizations are working to show children the importance — and fun — of eating healthy, nutritious and delicious food, growing their own produce, and giving food to others in need.