The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
By Phil Aroneanu
Have you been wondering if you should join an Occupy Wall Street (OWS) event in your city?
In the last few weeks, OWS has grown from a small encampment in downtown New York City to a global movement, with thousands of occupations popping up everywhere from icy Fairbanks to sunny Tallahassee.
I’ve heard from hundreds of people in our network who are taking part in events. People in the 350 movement around the world are helping facilitate discussions, funding bicycle generators at encampments and making the connection between the crimes on Wall Street and the pollution in our atmosphere.
For those of you who haven’t yet visited or joined an occupation, I want to encourage you to join the 99 percent and support this growing movement. To help out, we've put together some resources, fact sheets, sign ideas and a list of occupations.
Click here to find an occupation near you.
You don’t necessarily need to camp out to help support this movement. You can also attend the daily general assemblies, take part in discussion groups, donate supplies or money, or put your unique artistic, media or culinary skills to work. If you’ve been with 350.org for a while, this open-source approach probably feels familiar. It's more like a potluck where everyone brings a dish than a dinner party with a single host.
Remember, all of these OWS events are being organized by a unique, crowd-led, consensus-based process. There will likely be some parts of your local occupation that you love, and other things you might want to change. There's no way to know exactly what each local event will look and feel like, so I’ve been encouraging everyone I know to approach each event with an open-mind and a good deal of flexibility.
Why should people who care about the climate join the OWS movement? Here’s one answer—for years, Wall Street has been occupying our atmosphere, backing the huge oil, gas and coal corporations that have polluted our air, water and communities with impunity. And time and again, these members of the 1 percent have blocked the clean energy and climate legislation that would benefit the other 99 percent of us.
Take the Keystone XL pipeline that 350.org has been working to stop. It’s a classic example of this cronyism at work. First, we found out that the pipeline company’s chief lobbyist was a former campaign manager for Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Next, it turned out the consultants the State Department hired to conduct an environmental impact statement for the pipeline were recommended by the pipeline company itself. Is it any wonder they concluded Keystone XL would have no environmental impact? Now, we’re learning that the Koch Brothers are among those who stand to benefit most from the pipeline’s construction.
It’s time to take the pollution out of politics, and the OWS movement has opened a door to do just that. Now it's up to all of us to walk through it.
Whether you join an OWS event this week or join the big Keystone XL protest at the White House this Nov. 6, this is a unique time in the movement for change. Let's shape it together.
For more information, click here.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Erica Cirino
Visit a coral reef off the coast of Miami or the Maldives and you may see fields of bleached white instead of a burst of colors.
By Jason Bittel
High up in the mountains of Montana's Glacier National Park, there are two species of insect that only a fly fishermen or entomologist would probably recognize. Known as stoneflies, these aquatic bugs are similar to dragonflies and mayflies in that they spend part of their lives underwater before emerging onto the land, where they transform into winged adults less than a half inch long. However, unlike those other species, stoneflies do their thing only where cold, clean waters flow.
By Bob Curley
- The new chicken sandwiches at McDonald's, Popeyes, and Chick-fil-A all contain the MSG flavor enhancement chemical.
- Experts say MSG can enhance the so-called umami flavor of a food.
- The ingredient is found in everything from Chinese food and pizza to prepackaged sandwiches and table sauces.
McDonald's wants to get in on the chicken sandwich war currently being waged between Popeyes and Chick-fil-A.
By Andrea Germanos
Youth climate activists marched through the streets of Davos, Switzerland Friday as the World Economic Forum wrapped up in a Fridays for Future demonstration underscoring their demand that the global elite act swiftly to tackle the climate emergency.
By Tim Radford
The year is less than four weeks old, but scientists already know that carbon dioxide emissions will continue to head upwards — as they have every year since measurements began — leading to a continuation of the Earth's rising heat.