Energy-Efficient Homes 2022: Top 30 Energy Facts and Statistics
Realtors are used to answering questions about available closet space and the number of bathrooms, but there’s a new question people are asking when searching for a new home:
How’s the energy efficiency?
Recent research has shown that more Americans are searching to buy or build an energy-efficient home. And with climate change worsening and energy bills rising, it’s perhaps not much of a surprise that sustainability is shifting to a top priority.
But just how much of a difference does it make? Do homes that help people to conserve energy really help to save money and the planet?
Let’s look at some of the top statistics for energy-efficient homes.
Jump To: Top Home Energy Facts and Statistics | Energy Efficient Window Facts and Statistics | LED Light Facts and Statistics | Sustainable Roofing Facts and Statistics | High-Performance HVAC Facts and Statistics | Residential Solar Facts and Statistics
Top 30 Home Energy Facts and Statistics of 2022
A survey from the National Association of Realtors (NAR) revealed that 63% of agents and brokers find it valuable to promote energy efficiency in a house listing.1
Here are some stats that back up why homeowners are — or why they should be — prioritizing energy-savvy homes.1
- Energy-efficient-rated homes sell for 2.7% more than unrated homes, and better-rated homes sell for 3% to 5% more than lesser-rated homes. 2
- 51% of real estate agents say they helped a client buy or sell a home with green features (up from 32% in 2021). 1
- Real estate agents report that energy efficiency adds $8,246 to a home’s value in 2022, up more than $1600 from 2021. 3
- Homes and commercial buildings consume 40% of the energy used in the United States. 4
- Americans waste $200 to $400 in home energy expenses per year due to air leaks and outdated HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems.4
- The most common energy-efficient home upgrades are: sealing air leaks, installing new windows, upgrading to programmable thermostats, adding insulation, installing energy–efficient water heaters, upgrading household appliances to Energy Star, installing solar panels and switching to energy-efficient lightning.4
- LEED-certified homes use an average of 20% to 30% less energy than traditional homes, with some reporting up to 60% in energy savings. 5
- Making energy-efficient choices helps burn fewer fossil fuels, which helps lessen the bi-product of greenhouse gasses and other air pollutants. 7
- Residential energy accounts for roughly 20% of annual greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the U.S. 7
- A properly insulated attic can reduce your energy bill by 10% to 50%, according to the Department of Energy. 8
Energy-Efficient Window Facts and Statistics
Something as simple as upgrading to energy-efficient windows can drastically reduce your energy costs and increase your home value.
- Switching to energy-efficient windows can save the average homeowner up to $583 per year. 9
- New windows, doors and siding is the feature most important to prospective home buyers in 2022.2
- Inefficient windows lead to $50 billion in energy waste per year in the U.S.10
- Replacing single-pane windows can save 1,006 to 6,205 pounds of carbon dioxide per household per year (the equivalent of 51 to 317 gallons of gasoline).9
LED Lights Facts and Statistics
- LED bulbs use about 75% less energy and last 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs, saving the average household about $225 per year.11
- An average household dedicates 11% of its energy budget to lighting. Using new technologies can reduce lighting energy use in your home by 50% to 75%.4
- LED lights contain no mercury and are 95% recyclable.12
Sustainable Roofing Facts and Statistics
Replacing your roof will not only help protect your home from the elements, but it can also drastically increase its energy efficiency. And as it turns out, the best roofing materials for the environment are also the best roofs for lowering personal energy consumption.
- You can save up to 30% on air cooling costs by installing a metal roof over an asphalt one.13
- A green roof would save about $200,000 over its estimated lifespan of 40 years, with nearly two-thirds of that coming from reduced energy costs.14
- Metal roofs are 100% recyclable after use. Additionally, aluminum roofing materials are made from 95% post-consumer recycled contents and steel roofing is made from 10% post-consumer recycled contents.15
- A metal roof replacement will increase your home value by more than $28,000 — more than $10,000 more compared to an asphalt shingle roof replacement.16
High-Performance HVAC Facts and Statistics
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems are responsible for a whopping 48% of a home’s energy usage. Small changes like switching from a gas furnace to a heat pump or choosing an air conditioner with a better SEER rating can make a big difference for your home and for the planet.
- Conventional air conditioner systems cost over $29 billion annually, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.18
- The $4.28 billion High-Efficiency Electric Home Rebate Program (part of the Inflation Reduction Act), provides rebates of up to $8,000 to install heat pumps, which can both heat and cool homes. It also provides a rebate of up to $1,750 for heat-pump water heaters.
- Standard water heaters account for 14-18% of your utility bill.19
- Energy Star-certified smart thermostats can save homeowners between 8% and 15% on electricity costs.20
- The U.S. Department of Energy estimates you can save as much as 10% on heating and cooling costs per year by adjusting your thermostat just 7-10 degrees for eight hours a day.19
Residential Solar Energy Facts Statistics
By installing solar panels on your roof or switching to solar shingles, you can rely less on traditional energy sources and generate your own electricity. Plus, housing trends point towards an increasing amount of interest in homes with solar features.
- On average, a U.S. homeowner sees a $20,000 of lifetime savings from switching to solar energy.
- Solar installations increase a home’s resale value by 4.1%.21
- The cost of adding solar panels has dropped more than 70% over the last decade.22
- The number of U.S. homes with installed solar panels has increased by an average of 32% per year since the year 2005.23
- https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/default/files/documents/2022-realtors-and-sustainability-report-04-26-2022_0.pdf 2. https://sf.freddiemac.com/content/_assets/resources/pdf/fact-sheet/energy_efficiency_white_paper.pdf 3. https://www.homelight.com/blog/real-estate-top-agent-insights-for-summer-2022/ 4. https://www.energy.gov/eere/why-energy-efficiency-upgrades 5. https://www.builderonline.com/building/structure-durability/usgbc-reports-leed-certified-homes-are-on-the-rise_o#:~:text=LEED%2Dcertified%20homes%20use%2020,energy%2C%20waste%2C%20and%20water. 6. https://www.energystar.gov/about/about_energy_efficiency 7. https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1922205117 8. http://energy.gov/energysaver/insulation 9. https://www.energystar.gov/products/building_products/residential_windows_doors_and_skylights/benefits 10. https://nfrccommunity.org/blogpost/925129/NFRC-News-Now?tag=clean+energy 11. https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/lighting-choices-save-you-money 12. https://greentechsolutionsgroup.com/10-led-fun-facts/ 13. http://www.dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/TAD/builders_guide/Chapter_10.pdf 14. https://www.nps.gov/tps/sustainability/new-technology/green-roofs/benefits.htm 15. https://www.gulfcoastsupply.com/sustainable-roofing-the-impact-of-your-metal-roof/ 16. https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2022/ 17. https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/heating-and-cooling 18. https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/home-cooling-systems/air-conditioning 19. https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/articles/new-infographic-and-projects-keep-your-energy-bills-out-hot-water 20. https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/programmable-thermostats 21. https://www.zillow.com/research/solar-panels-house-sell-more-23798/ 22. https://www.seia.org/solar-industry-research-data 23. https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy22osti/82854.pdf
Subscribe to get exclusive updates in our daily newsletter!