The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combi boiler has quickly become one of the most popular models in the Viessmann line. Along with other boilers in the range, the 050-W has won the Which? Best Buy award for multiple years.
This combi boiler can provide a great heating experience for small and medium properties, including instant hot water. The Vitodens 050-W also comes with innovative features that separate the model from some of its competitors, including built-in wi-fi capabilities, the ability to connect a thermostat, a reliable steel heat exchanger with a 10-year guarantee and a stylish LED display panel.
With dimensions of 400 (w) x 350 (d) x 707 (h) mm, the Vitodens 050-W is one of the most compact boilers on the market. Another advantage of the Viessmann Vitodens is that it has a stainless steel heat exchanger, which is of higher quality than the standard (more widely used but also considerably less durable) aluminium.
Viessmann is a well-established brand, but the Vitodens 050-W has a surprisingly impressive set of benefits that aren’t seen with other boilers. This combi is also very compact and easy to install and maintain.
The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W is a compact, stylish and quiet gas-condensing boiler that can easily integrate into any living space. The boiler has an energy efficiency of 92% (class A) and an easy-to-use LED control display that supports the smart home system, ViCare. It is hydrogen-ready and won’t require any adjustments to work with a 20% hydrogen blend. The Vitodens 050-W is ideal for homes with up to three bedrooms and allows you to easily set room temperature and time-scheduling.
- Type: Gas-condensing combi and system boiler
- ErP efficiency: Class A, 92%
- Dimensions: 400 (w) x 350 (d) x 707 (h) mm
- Weight: 36 kg
- DHW output rating: 3.2 to 30 kW
- Heat output rating: 3.2 to 25 kW
- DHW flow rate: 12–13.4 l/minute
- Quiet and ultra compact: The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combination boiler has a height of just 707 mm and a width of 400 mm, so it can be easily fitted into a kitchen cupboard or between cabinets. The boiler’s operating noise is also very low – just 49 decibels.
- Touchscreen display: You can control the Vitodens 050-W using a stylish LED touchscreen that provides all the information you need to understand the boiler’s functions.
- Guaranteed for up to 10 years: The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W comes with a standard three-year comprehensive guarantee. You can extend this to 10 years if you fit your boiler with a Viessmann-trained installer.
Pros and cons
To compile this Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combination boiler review, we carefully examined the model’s pros and cons.
Here are the advantages of choosing the 050-W as your next heating and hot water solution:
- ViCare smart control: The Vitodens 050-W is compatible with Viessmann’s innovative ViCare smartphone app. This is an optional extra. The ViCare app can connect with a smart thermostat and allows you to control your heating environment and save energy costs. It also enables remote monitoring should something go wrong with your boiler.
- Durable heat exchanger: The Vitodens 050-W has an efficient Inox-Radial stainless steel heat exchanger that is among the best combi boiler heat exchangers on the market. This technology delivers some of the highest possible operational reliability available and has a 10-year guarantee.
- Great range of accessories: Viessmann offers an extensive range of accessories for the Vitodens 050-W combination boiler, including flue kits, thermostats, time switches and numerous wireless add-ons.
Remember to weigh up the pros against the cons, including:
- Not suitable for larger properties: The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W is a mid-range combi boiler. If your house has more than two bathrooms, you should consider a bigger model or a different type of boiler.
- Thermostat not included by default: The option to add a thermostat you can control remotely and use for weather compensation is an optional add-on and not something that comes out of the box (although the boiler does have built-in wi-fi connectivity).
- Viessmann-only components: All of the 050-W’s parts, accessories and components are manufactured by Viessmann. This means you could potentially face a shortage of spares, although this seems to only have happened when the newer model of the boiler was released for the UK.
How the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W works
Combination boilers can provide hot water on demand and help keep your utility bills down. Because they don’t need to store the hot water in a tank, their energy consumption is lower than traditional boilers. This makes combination boilers ideal for smaller homes with limited heating and hot water requirements; for example, residences with one or two bathrooms and up to three bedrooms.
The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combination boiler comes in 29 kW and 35 kW output options and has been rated A for energy efficiency (92%). The model produces very low CO2 emissions and has an optional wireless thermostat control, so you can always manage the output. This is just one of the types of accessories you can add to the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W.
The Vitodens 050-W 29 kW is ideal for homes with one bathroom and up to three bedrooms. The 30 kW option, on the other hand, can support two bathrooms and a shower room thanks to its extra 6 kW output. Either way, one of the 050-W’s advantages is that it can modulate its power only to use what is required to keep your home heated, making it an efficient boiler choice.
One of the distinctive features that separate the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W from other boilers in a similar range is its wi-fi and intelligent capabilities. The model has built-in wi-fi support, meaning you can connect your boiler to a thermostat and manage it from your mobile device. It’s worth noting, however, that this option is an additional feature and is not included in the basic boiler setup.
How the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W compares to other boilers
When comparing this model with other similar combi boilers from Worcester Bosch and Ideal, the Vitodens 050-W has a number of unique features that help it fare better in terms of efficiency and reliability. However, you might still like to consider some alternative models.
The Ideal Logic C30 is in the same price range as the Vitodens; the C30 costs from £1,645 to £2,145 and the Vitodens costs from £1,690 to £2,190. The C30 comes in a greater range of output options – 24 kW, 30 kW and 35 kW – meaning you’re more likely to get a boiler with a power output that’s suited to your home and energy needs. Efficiency is where the C30 performs better: it has a 94% efficiency rating, while the Vitodens has a rating of just 92%.
The Worcester Bosch Greenstar 2000 is another solid choice in this price bracket. It has a shorter warranty period than the Viessmann (a maximum of six years), but Worcester Bosch is a well-respected brand. We like its water and time-saving quick tap functionality. This feature means you can trigger hot water heating simply by opening and closing the tap immediately.
How much does the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W cost?
The Vitodens 050-W has a price tag of about £890 for the boiler only, which is quite reasonable for a condensing boiler of Viessmann’s quality. Including installation and sundries, the Vitodens 050-W’s total price could go up to £2,190.
Installing and maintaining the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W
Installing a Viessmann Vitodens 050-W is very straightforward but depends to some degree on the extras you want to add to your system, such as thermostats and controls. Maintenance is easy, too. In fact, because the Vitodens 050-W has built-in wi-fi connectivity, Viessmann customer service agents can connect to your boiler remotely to diagnose issues.
The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W includes a standard three-year comprehensive guarantee that can be extended to 10 years. To access this option, you will need to have a Viessmann-trained installer fit the boiler. You should also make sure your boiler is registered through Viessmann’s installer portal.
What the professionals say
“It’s no surprise that the Vitodens 050-W is so popular. There really isn’t anything to dislike about a compact boiler with a very competitive price, and that’s full of energy-saving features. Of course, as with any boiler, it’s essential to consider your heating and hot water needs first to make sure that the 050-W can deliver what’s needed.”
“As with all Viessmann boilers, the 050-W features a stainless steel heat exchanger, which is superior to many of the competitor brands that tend to use aluminium. Steel is a tougher material that is also more suitable for those that live in areas with hard water.”
“Its low installed height makes it easier for replacement of old boilers, with improved access to serviceable parts such as the plate heat exchanger and inherent ease of wiring with all Viessmann boilers, making it easy for your annual boiler service to be performed. ”
What customers say
“When my boiler eventually packed in after 12 years constantly providing for a family of four, I decided to take the plunge and get a Viessmann combi boiler. The process was so easy and the removal of my old Worcester boiler was easy to replace by the Viessman boiler.”
- Thomas, via Trustpilot
“Fantastic bit of kit. Very quiet and unlike the boiler we had before, it doesn’t switch itself on every half an hour… heats up very quickly too. Old boiler couldn’t heat up enough water for a warm bath. This one is like a million times better. Highly recommend.”
- Mike T, via Trustpilot
“Arranged to have a Viessmann boiler installed after years of a WBosch. Reviews made me make the change. Easy installation and really impressed with my boiler. Been in since January so used to it now. Highly recommend.”
- Kenneth, via Trustpilot
The Viessmann Vitodens 050-W is a future-proof, efficient and reliable heating system for your small or medium home. It’s also compact, lightweight and quiet.
The boiler comes with a standard three-year comprehensive guarantee (10 years when using a Viessmann-trained installer) and has some impressive features that separate this model from similar ones, like built-in wi-fi connectivity and smartphone support.
The Vitodens 050-W combi boiler also produces low CO2 emissions and has been rated A for energy efficiency. If you want to do your bit for the planet, the Vitodens 050-W can also help you reduce your environmental impact.
This combination boiler not only comes from a well-established boiler manufacturer brand but also has some unique features that make it a cost-effective solution for a wide range of properties and buildings. As a result, the Vitodens 050-W is among the best combi boilers in the UK.
We considered several factors when reviewing the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combination boiler. We compared it to some of the best combination boilers on the UK market and read hundreds of reviews by customers and professionals.
We rated the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W against the following weighted criteria:
- Design (20%)
- Durability (20%)
- Efficiency (25%)
- Performance (25%)
- Guarantee (10%)