'Climate Change Alarmists' Want to Turn People Gay, Says Religious Right Leader
Anti-gay activists are sounding increasingly unhinged as marriage equality sweeps the U.S. Climate deniers are sounding increasingly unhinged as evidence piles up that we've got to do something about the way we're ravaging our planet.
Put them together and what do you have? An epic level of head-scratching conspiracy-mongering emanating from the master of that craft, Family Research Council president Tony Perkins, a man who has been professionally obsessed with LGBT people for years.
According to watchdog group Right Wing Watch, Perkins told a caller to his Washington Watch radio program last week that those who are advocating for action on climate change are behind the push for LGBT rights.
The caller offered him an opening, saying that homosexuality is "promoted" because it doesn't lead to reproduction and that "there's this anti-life agenda, there's a total anti-human, anti-life, human beings are a virus type of mentality."
Perkins took the opportunity to connect that with people working to stem and reverse climate change.
"Climate change alarmists and those who are pushing population control … promote homosexuality," he said. "They deny it but the evidence is there; it’s footnoted in my book."
Undoubtedly with references to the Bible, not scientific literature.
It's not Perkins' first waltz at this particular dance. Earlier this year he said on his program,"I remember a few years ago, it might have been Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson, who made a reference to a hurricane or a storm being an act of God. It's interesting that's how we refer to some of these things in our insurance policies—they were ridiculed, saying 'how dumb can you be?' Well, there's more to back that up than to say what's happening in our environment, our climate, is because of people driving Suburbans or coal-fired power plants."
Those who follow the shenanigans of these high-profile evangelical media figures will probably recall that Robertson and the late Falwell blamed those acts of God on gay people. Robertson most notoriously said back in the late ’90s that God would send "hurricanes and other disasters" to smite Florida because DisneyWorld held a Gay Pride Day. Apparently, God wasn't listening to Robertson because that particular year, Florida experienced no hurricanes.
You won't find Perkins' name on the roster of the Evangelical Environmental Network, which believes there is a biblical mandate to care for the Earth. And needless to say, Perkins is an evolution denier as well.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Mangroves Threatened by Sea Level Rise Could Disappear by ... ›
- Louisiana Faces Faster Levels of Sea-Level Rise Than Any Other ... ›
- Worst Case Sea Level Rise by Century's End Could Be Doubled ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Greta Thunberg
- Greta Thunberg calls for urgent action to address the climate and ecological crisis.
- She reminds the world of the promises made to children and grandchildren — a promise they expect to be kept.
- The proposals being discussed and presented at the moment are 'very far from being enough.'
In 2010, world leaders agreed to 20 targets to protect Earth's biodiversity over the next decade. By 2020, none of them had been met. Now, the question is whether the world can do any better once new targets are set during the meeting of the UN Convention on Biodiversity in Kunming, China later this year.
- Ocean Scientists Create Global Network to Help Save Biodiversity ... ›
- 5 Reasons Why Biodiversity Matters - EcoWatch ›
- 26 Organizations Working to Conserve Seed Biodiversity - EcoWatch ›
- The Top 10 Ocean Biodiversity Hotspots to Protect - EcoWatch ›
- New Platform Shows How to Protect Biodiversity and Save Planet ... ›
- These Scientists Are Listening to the Borneo Rainforest to Protect ... ›
By Andrew Rosenberg
The first 24 hours of the administration of President Joe Biden were filled not only with ceremony, but also with real action. Executive orders and other directives were quickly signed. More actions have followed. All consequential. Many provide a basis for not just undoing actions of the previous administration, but also making real advances in public policy to protect public health, safety, and the environment.
- Here Are Biden's Day One Actions on Climate and Environment ... ›
- UCS Offers Science Advice for Biden Administration - EcoWatch ›
A first-of-its-kind study has examined the satellite record to see how the climate crisis is impacting all of the planet's ice.
- 'Ghost Forests' Are an Eerie Sign of Sea-Level Rise - EcoWatch ›
- Sea-Level Rise Takes Business Toll in North Carolina's Outer Banks ... ›
- Sea Level Rise Is Locked in Even If We Meet Paris Agreement ... ›