The best of EcoWatch, right in your inbox. Sign up for our email newsletter!
A CBD-Infused Sleep ‘Cocktail’ to Bring on the Zzz’s
By Kristi Pahr
The importance of a good night's sleep can't be overstated. So often, we stay up late trying to milk the day for as much time as we can get — then wake up early feeling tired and bleary. Or we toss and turn in bed, replaying the events of the day or the week or the month, our brains cranked up until midnight while our bodies lay there exhausted.
Study after study has shown the importance of regular, restful sleep as part of a healthy lifestyle. Sleep deficiencies can affect everything from brain health and cognition to immune function and mental health.
Fortunately, choices for improving sleep have evolved over the years. Taking sedatives or antihistamines that leave you feeling groggy are far from the only — or healthiest — choices. Sleep seekers have turned to meditation, yoga, hot baths, and herbal supplements in the quest to ensure some solid shut-eye.
And now, another option has entered the sleep space: CBD.
CBD to the Rescue
Chances are by now you've heard about cannabidiol (CBD), the non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis. It's made its way to the forefront of the wellness movement.
Initial research shows that CBD, which doesn't get you high, can be useful in the treatment of a number of conditions, including:
- chronic pain
- skin conditions, such as eczema
- some seizure disorders
Good news for you: It can also improve sleep. CBD taken at least an hour before bed can improve insomnia and promote a restful night's sleep.
CBD Sleep Cocktail
Writer and CBD expert Gabriel Aly takes CBD every night before bed mixed into a tasty and simple juice cocktail containing tart cherries — a natural source of melatonin — and valerian root, which has been used historically to promote sleep.
- 1 cup tart cherry juice
- 1 cup white grape juice
- 1/2 dropper valerian root tincture
- Preferred dose of CBD oil
- Simply mix all ingredients.
- Enjoy before bed.
Gabriel’s Favorite CBD Oils
- One of the most potent full-spectrum oils I've tried came from a company called TerraVida.
- Another company I love is Lazarus Naturals. They use an alcohol extraction method and focus on quality control. Their prices are amazing and they offer 60 percent off to veterans, people with long-term disabilities, and people from low-income households.
- CBDistillery is another well-known company that sells both full-spectrum and CBD isolate oils. Their CBD is extracted through the CO2 extraction method and they also use hemp sourced in the US.
More CBD Recipes
If you're interested in sampling more CBD recipes, this mango smoothie is designed to help alleviate pain and this peppermint chocolate espresso incorporates CBD as a way to balance out coffee jitters.
Even if marijuana is legal in your state, it continues to be illegal under federal law. While there are some claims that CBD derived from hemp, rather than a cannabis plant, is legal in all 50 states, other reports point out legality isn't so straightforward. We suggest checking your state's laws regarding CBD oil.
Medically reviewed by Carissa Stephens, RN, CCRN, CPN.
Reposted with permission from our media associate Healthline.
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
- Beat the COVID-19 Blues With These Wildlife and Nature Livecams ... ›
- Bald Eagles Are Still Dying From Lead Poisoning - EcoWatch ›
- Ospreys' Recovery From Pollution and Shooting Is a Global ... ›
The office may never look the same again. And the investment it will take to protect employees may force many companies to go completely remote. That's after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued new recommendations for how workers can return to the office safely.
- Trump Admin Rejects CDC Reopening Guidelines - EcoWatch ›
- Trump Labor Department Encourages States to Report Workers ... ›
- White House Ordered Coronavirus Meetings Be Classified - EcoWatch ›
Scientists and art historians are studying art for signs of climate change and to better understand the ways Western culture's relationship to nature has been altered by it, according to the BBC.
- Climate Change, Inspired By Banksy - EcoWatch ›
- Artists and Activists Rise to Fight Climate Change - EcoWatch ›
By Richard Connor
The University of Southern Denmark on Wednesday announced that its researchers have developed the world's first fully automatic robot capable of carrying out throat swabs for COVID-19.
Before you pour a glass of wine, feel the weight of the bottle in your hand. Would you notice if it were a few ounces lighter? Jackson Family Wines is betting that you won't.
After a minor setback, a new era in space travel and tourism is set to launch this weekend.
When the SpaceX shuttle launches its private spacecraft, the Crew Dragon, with NASA astronauts in tow, it will mark the beginning of commercialized space exploration. SpaceX
NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken will man the SpaceX Crew Dragon to the International Space Station. NASA
- SpaceX Launches and Lands World's First Recycled Rocket ... ›
- Dear Elon Musk: Your Dazzling Mars Plan Overlooks Some Big ... ›
- Everything you need to know about SpaceX's historic astronaut launch ›
- Crew Dragon Launch Day Timeline: From Suit up to Docking with ... ›
- Updates to Coverage of NASA SpaceX Commercial Crew Test Flight ... ›
- SpaceX's first ever commercial space flight a pit stop on Elon Musk's ... ›
- SpaceX will launch private citizens into orbit - The Verge ›
Former Federal Reserve Governor Rebukes Fed for Using Covid-19 Funds to Bail Out Fossil Fuel Industry
By Eoin Higgins
A former Federal Reserve board of governors member on Thursday called on her former colleagues to stop using Covid-19 relief funds to bail out the "dying" fossil fuel industry, calling the decision a threat to the planet's climate and a misguided use of taxpayer money.
<iframe width="100%" height="150" scrolling="no" class="rm-shortcode twitter-embed-1266004825050939393" id="twitter-embed-1266004825050939393" lazy-loadable="true" src="/res/community/twitter_embed/?iframe_id=twitter-embed-1266004825050939393&created_ts=1590674046.0&screen_name=collinrees&text=The+last+thing+the+Fed+should+be+doing+is+bailing+one+of+world%27s+riskiest+industries+%E2%80%94+fossil+fuels.%0A%0AWe+know+Big+O%E2%80%A6+https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fu4d5SoHy83&id=1266004825050939393&name=Collin+Rees" frameborder="0" data-rm-shortcode-id="a0e370c95211a3c2f9a65eda5a075be6"></iframe>
<iframe width="100%" height="150" scrolling="no" class="rm-shortcode twitter-embed-1266068654724132864" id="twitter-embed-1266068654724132864" lazy-loadable="true" src="/res/community/twitter_embed/?iframe_id=twitter-embed-1266068654724132864&created_ts=1590689264.0&screen_name=Western_Values&text=Oil%2C+gas%2C+and+coal+companies+are+set+to+receive+billions+in+federal+aid+from+both+the+%23PPP+and+%23CARESAct.+Many+of+t%E2%80%A6+https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FmX370hwkg1&id=1266068654724132864&name=Western+Values+Project" frameborder="0" data-rm-shortcode-id="c000bc798f2c320613914689edb3c330"></iframe>
- The $88 Billion Fossil Fuel Bailout for Oil, Gas and Coal Exploration ... ›
- Fossil Fuel Firms With Ties to Trump Administration Get Small ... ›
- Big Oil Taking $1.9 Billion in CARES Act Tax Breaks - EcoWatch ›