Britain Gets No Power From Coal for First Time Ever, UK EV Drivers Soon to Sell Electricity Back to Grid
For the first time since the 19th century, Britain’s National Grid sourced no electricity from coal on Tuesday between midnight and 4 a.m. due to a series of power plant breakdowns.
Last night, no UK electricity was generated by coal between midnight and 4am. A first for the UK! #keepitintheground https://t.co/TWudLZHMfA— Ben & Jerry's UK (@Ben & Jerry's UK)1462886599.0
Coal has become extremely unprofitable in the UK due to a carbon tax, expanding use of renewables and low-priced gas. The UK intends to phase out coal entirely by 2025. Elsewhere in the UK, Nissan announced a trial set for later this year allowing electric vehicle owners to make money by selling electricity back to the grid.
Nissan and Eaton reveal xStorage 🏠 energy storage unit at #NissanFutures in London https://t.co/XaWx9msyyd— Nissan UK PR Team (@Nissan UK PR Team)1462888732.0
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
By Jessica Corbett
In another win for climate campaigners, leaders of 12 major cities around the world — collectively home to about 36 million people — committed Tuesday to divesting from fossil fuel companies and investing in a green, just recovery from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
- Oxford Endowment Ditches Fossil Fuels in 'Historic' Decision ... ›
- Fossil Fuel Divestment Debates on Campus Spotlight Societal Role ... ›
- London and New York Mayors Call on Other World Cities to Divest ... ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
By Jacob Wallace
This story is published as part of StudentNation's "Vision 2020: Election Stories From the Next Generation" reports from young journalists that center the concerns of diverse young voters. In this project, working with Dr. Sherri Williams, we recruited young journalists from different backgrounds to develop story ideas and reporting about their peers' concerns ahead of the most important election of our lives. We'll continue publishing two stories each week over the course of September.
In the speech she gave at the People's Climate March in Washington in 2017, Jansikwe Medina-Tayac, then 15, told a crowd of thousands, "This [climate change] is not just an environmental issue. This is a race issue, this is an immigration issue, this is a feminist issue."
- Youth Activists Urge Presidential Candidates to Address Climate ... ›
- Young Republican Climate Activists Split Over November's Election ... ›
- Activists Launch Youth 'Power Vote' Campaign to Turn Out Climate ... ›
The United States passed 200,000 deaths due to COVID-19 Tuesday and experts warn that number may double before the end of the year as an autumn surge in cases starts, according to USA Today.
- Thom Yorke of Radiohead Releases Song With Greenpeace to Help ... ›
- Patti Smith, Thom Yorke, Flea and More Featured on Just Released ... ›
- Musicians and Activists Unite at 'Pathway to Paris' - EcoWatch ›
A national park in Thailand has come up with an innovative way to make sure guests clean up their own trash: mail it back to them.
- Supermarkets in Thailand and Vietnam Swap Plastic Packaging for ... ›
- Malaysia Sends Plastic Waste Back to 13 Wealthy Countries, Says It ... ›
- Thailand Begins the New Year With Plastic Bag Ban - EcoWatch ›
- Coronavirus Worsens Thailand's Plastic Waste Crisis - EcoWatch ›
- Marium, Thailand's Beloved Baby Dugong, Is the Latest Victim of ... ›