Top 3 Fat Burner Supplements [2020 List]
By Alex Middleton
Losing weight and reducing fat is a hard battle to fight. Thankfully, there are fat burner supplements that help you gain your target body and goal. However, how would you know which supplement is right for you?
Today we will review the three best fat burner supplements we can find in the market to help you decide which supplement to pick up and aid in your fat and weight loss journey.
Below are the three best products we could find in the market as of the moment, and the three we would be discussing in this article.
Top 3 Fat Burner Supplements:
1. PhenQ - Highest Quality Fat Burner
2. Instant Knockout - Best Thermogenic Fat Burner
3. Trimtone - Best Fat Burner Supplement for Women
We considered numerous factors when taking into account in choosing the best fat burner supplement in the market.
- Ingredients- One of the factors when choosing your fat burning supplement is the ingredients in each product. Take into account if the brand has the highest quality ingredients and contains no additives or harmful chemicals to avoid adverse side effects.
- Type- There are different kinds of fat burning supplements that target the various factors of weight loss.
- Suppresses your appetite-A factor in weight loss is your cravings and hunger. Fat burner supplements aim to keep you feeling full and stop you from caving into your cravings.
- Thermogenic Fat burning supplements- Metabolism is your body's way of reducing fats and burning calories. Increasing your body heat helps with the speed of your metabolism.
- Blocks fats- Multiple fat burning supplements block fat cells' production and burn your current fat cells in the process, aiding with weight loss.
- Supplements with no stimulants-If you are a person who is sensitive to caffeine, you might want to choose a supplement that has no stimulants to avoid caffeine side effects.
- Price- Another factor for choosing your fat burner supplement is the price, is the price of the product worth your money? Some brands can be quite expensive as well, not suitable if you are on a budget.
- Form-Fat burner supplements can come in different forms like capsules and pills, powders, and teas. Pick the one you are most comfortable with and the most convenient for you.
Best Fat Burner Supplements
Below is the list of fat burner supplements we recommend and the factors they cater to.
1. PhenQ - Highest Quality Fat Burner
PhenQ is a fat burner supplement made by Wolfson Berg. This fat burner supplement uses natural and organic ingredients that are efficient in weight loss, and their product is made in an FDA-approved facility, ensuring quality.
This supplement targets all five weight loss factors: fat burn, appetite suppression, stopping the creation of fats, increasing your energy levels, and boosting your mood. PhenQ is an excellent overall fat burning supplement for both men and women.
The ingredients in PhenQ are backed up by science and proven for their effectiveness in losing weight. They also provide a 60-day money-back guarantee, so don't be afraid to try out their product.
The recommended dosage for PhenQ is two capsules a day, and each bottle of PhenQ consists of sixty pills, lasting you for a month. They offer discounted packages and free shipping worldwide.
- Capsimax Powder
Capsimax Powder is ground up powder from chili peppers. Chili peppers are one of the ingredients that boost your body temperature, and the speed of your metabolism dramatically relies on your temperature. This effect gives your metabolism a boost.
- Chromium Picolinate
Research shows that Chromium Picolinate is a needed trace element that helps our body absorb the sugar and carbohydrates in our bloodstream, preventing insulin spikes and resistance. This effect helps suppress your appetite and keep your cravings in control.
Keeping your cravings in control helps keep you stick to your diet more consistently.
Many fat burner supplements use caffeine as their ingredient because of its fat-burning properties, increasing your body temperature. Aside from this, Caffeine helps give that energy you need during exercise.
Research shows that Nopal, a plant from Mexico's country, is efficient in reducing fat and stopping new fats' absorption because of its high fiber content. This effect prevents the retention of water in your body, which is responsible for water weight.
- L-carnitine Fumarate
This ingredient is an amino acid that is essential for burning fat and losing weight. L-carnitine Fumarate also boosts your energy levels, giving you the endurance and strength you need when participating in a calorie-deficit diet.
Is PhenQ Effective?
PhenQ's effectiveness is because it targets the five factors of weight loss: fat burn, keeping you feeling full, increasing your metabolism, and giving you that energy and endurance you need during a diet.
By targeting these factors, you would keep to your diet more consistently and help you speed up your weight loss journey. Aside from this, PhenQ only uses natural ingredients that have been proven to be effective in weight loss. They also manufacture their supplement in an FDA-approved facility, ensuring quality.
Aside from targeting these factors, PhenQ also boosts your energy, preventing the fatigue you usually feel when participating in an extreme diet and exercise. This product also boosts your metabolism, burning more calories per day.
And lastly, the reason for PhenQ's effectiveness is its ability to burn fat while preventing the production of new fat cells. This effect prevents weight gain and speeds up your weight loss journey.
- Stop the formation of new fat cells
- Speeds up your metabolism
- Burn current fat cells
- Reduce your weight
- Give increased energy
- Boosts your mood
- May reduce the risk of insulin resistance
- Full money refund for 60 days
- Includes free shipping
- Produced in an FDA-approved facility
- Natural and scientifically proven ingredients
- Has caffeine content not suitable for people sensitive to caffeine
- Only available on their Official Website
2. Instant Knockout - Best Fat Burner for Cutting
If you are a person who has tried all the diets and extreme exercises and still struggle to lose weight, Instant Knockout may be the fat burner supplement for you. This supplement helps increase your body temperature, speeding up your metabolism.
Aside from this, Instant Knockout uses a formula that athletes and MMA fighters use to lose weight before their matches. So, you can be sure that the formula is effective in boosting your fat loss journey.
This supplement is usually used by MMA fighters and athletes to help with cutting cycles, which is the cycle where athletes participate in a calorie-deficit diet to reduce the fat levels in your body.
You must intake four capsules a day to ensure its effectiveness, one in the morning, another before taking your lunch, another in the afternoon, and lastly, before taking your dinner. This procedure ensures the supplement is effective and promotes muscle growth.
- Green Tea Extract (500 mg)
Green tea has numerous health benefits and is in many Asian countries' diets for centuries. The ingredient helps in reducing weight and burning fat because of its natural caffeine content. Aside from this, it is a natural antioxidant and helps detoxify your gut.
- Cayenne Pepper seeds (100 mg)
Research shows that Cayenne pepper increases your body temperature, which is essential in speeding up your metabolism every day. There is no hint of spiciness in the supplement but rest assured that you will still receive its fat-burning properties.
- Glucomannan (1800 mg)
Research shows that Glucomannan is an excellent appetite suppressant that helps reduce your cravings and appetite. This factor helps you fight against your cravings and stick to your diet in the long run.
- Caffeine Anhydrous (300 mg)
Instant Knockout also includes caffeine content to help burn your fats and boost your weight loss journey. Aside from this, caffeine gives you the focus you need when you are doing a diet because a calorie-deficit diet gives you that sluggish feeling.
- Vitamin B6 (5 mg)
Research shows that this vitamin is essential for forming new muscles and reducing weight and burning calories even at rest. This vitamin helps improve your metabolism and give you strength for workouts.
- Vitamin B12 (10 mcg)
Instant Knockout contains Vitamin B12, which is essential for increasing your energy levels and reducing weight. This vitamin helps transform the calories you consume into energy, giving you strength, and boosting your mood.
- GTF Chromium (100 mcg)
Research shows that people are not putting enough GTF Chromium in their diet, which contains numerous vitamins and minerals that help speed up your metabolism and improve your overall mood.
- Zinc (10 mg)
Research shows that zinc is an essential element that increases the body's testosterone levels. Testosterone is a crucial hormone that promotes the growth of muscles and reduces fat. Zinc also helps manage the glucose in your bloodstream, preventing insulin spikes.
Zinc also prevents inflammation and the effects of aging and degeneration. This ingredient also helps improve your immune system, helping you fight numerous illnesses and diseases.
- Piperine (10 mg)
Piperine is a bioactive compound commonly found in black pepper. This compound prevents the production of new fat cells and stops the absorption of fat. This ingredient also helps increase your metabolism.
Piperine also has other multiple benefits like reducing inflammation, improving your gut health, and stopping nausea. This ingredient also helps with poor digestion and prevents constipation.
- Green Coffee Bean (100 mg)
Research shows that Green Coffee has numerous health benefits, including reducing cholesterol buildup in your body, reducing the risk of stroke and heart attacks. Aside from that, green coffee gives you the energy and endurance for your extreme diet and exercises.
This ingredient helps reduce the risk of cancer and other kidney diseases as well, including fatty liver disease, because it is a natural antioxidant that helps flush out harmful toxins out of your body.
Is Instant Knockout Effective?
Instant Knockout is effective because it uses a formula and blends that athletes use to lose weight and fat levels in their bodies before their matches. It contains ingredients that not only promote weight loss but stop the production of new fat cells.
Aside from this, Instant Knockout targets your basal body temperature and increases its heat to promote and speed up your metabolism. This procedure helps you burn off calories and fat even when you are resting.
Rest assured that Instant Knockout is effective because they use a formula and blend of ingredients for cutting cycles. The components of Instant knockout have been proven by science for their effectiveness in weight loss.
Instant knockout also helps prevent multiple illnesses and diseases by reducing your risk for certain conditions like cancer and heart diseases. This supplement is effective in reducing your cholesterol and cleansing your gut to flush out toxins.
Instant Knockout also contains high caffeine content that may not be advisable for people who have a caffeine sensitivity, but this gives your energy levels an extreme boost and fights off the sluggish feeling and fatigue you feel during workouts.
- Improve your slow metabolism
- Promote and increase muscle mass
- Reduce muscle loss
- Keeps you satiated
- May help manage blood sugar levels
- Increased strength
- Prevent the formation of new fat cells
- Used by athletes
- No shipping fees
- Full money refund for 90 days
- Needs to intake four capsules a day
- High caffeine content
- Only available on their Official Website
3. Trimtone - Best Fat Burner Supplement for Women
Trimtone is a fat burner supplement aimed towards women. It uses thermogenesis, a procedure where your body turns fat into usable energy and increases your metabolism's speed.
Aside from this, Trimtone helps keep you feeling full to help you fight against your cravings and hunger, helping you stick to your diet more consistently. This supplement also requires only one capsule a day to work. Take one capsule before your breakfast and intake the pill with water.
Trimtone also has the highest days of the money-back guarantee, where they offer 100 days money-back guarantee, ensuring your confidence in their product.
Caffeine is a stimulant that helps you gain energy and focus and is essential for getting the needed endurance and strength for extreme exercises. Aside from this, caffeine is known to increase your body temperature, speeding up your metabolism, and promoting weight loss.
- Caffeine also helps improve your focus, keeping you focused for the whole day, keeping up with your workouts and daily tasks.
- Green Coffee Bean
Green Coffee Bean reduces your overall fat content in your body and promotes focus and energy throughout the day. This ingredient reduces your weight and boosts your metabolism because of its caffeine content; it also helps lower insulin levels, preventing Type 2 diabetes.
- Green Tea Extract
Research shows that Green Tea has natural anti-obesity properties that help reduce and prevent obesity by inducing fat burn and weight loss. This ingredient also helps clean your colon and to avoid inflammation.
- Grains of Paradise
Grains of Paradise is an herb that helps increase your body's internal temperature, speeding up your metabolism, and boosting your energy levels. This ingredient also manages your blood glucose levels, fighting your pesky cravings and keeping you energetic throughout the day.
Glucomannan is an excellent type of konjac plant that helps keep your hunger at bay. This ingredient contains high fiber content, helping you feel full throughout the day and stop you from overeating.
Glucomannan is also an excellent laxative which helps regulate your bowel movements, improving gut health, and preventing poor digestion. This ingredient also helps regulate blood glucose levels and reduce cholesterol buildup.
Is Trimtone Effective?
Trimtone aims to burn fat and promote weight loss by inducing brown fat production in women, regulating blood sugar, and generating body heat. These effects help prevent insulin spikes, which is the cause of cravings and hunger.
Generating body heat also speeds up your metabolism and burns calories, even at rest. Trimtone also requires only one capsule in the morning before breakfast to take effect, perfect for busy people who don't have much time.
Trimtone does not contain a lot of caffeine compared to other supplements on this list. Aside from this, Trimtone has the most extended money-back guarantee where they give you a full refund for 100 days if you dislike their product.
Trimtone is effective for women because research shows that women lack brown fat compared to men. Brown fat is a healthy kind of fat that helps regulate blood sugar levels and prevent insulin spikes, which are responsible for hunger.
This supplement also provides discounted packages that include free bottles and free shipping, giving you the best quality product for your money.
- Promotes healthy brown fat
- Speeds up your metabolism
- May help lower blood sugar levels, preventing insulin spikes
- Gives you energy and strength
- Promote weight loss
- Help keep your appetite and hunger at bay.
- Burn pesky fat
- Reduces cholesterol
- Only one capsule needed a day
- Full money refund for 100 days
- Suitable for women
- Free shipping
- GMP Certified
- Packages and discounts
- Has caffeine content
- Only available on their Official Website
Why Are Fat Burner Supplements Effective?
Fat burner supplements help promote weight loss by targeting the five factors that are essential for weight loss.
These factors are:
- Keeping you feeling full and satiated to fight your cravings and hunger
- Increasing your body heat to speed up your metabolism
- Burn fats and preventing the production of new fat cells
- Boost your energy levels to stop the fatigue coming from extreme diets
- Regulate hormones that promote weight loss and improve your mood
These factors help boost and speed up your weight loss journey. However, to get the most out of them and see your desired results, a healthy diet and regular exercise are crucial to achieving your goals.
These supplements are only stepping stones that help guide you to the right path, boosting your body's ability to burn fat and increase your metabolism. Aside from this, fat burner supplements prevent the absorption of fat to your body.
Most Fat burner supplements also help to give you the needed energy levels for workouts and diets. Participating in a calorie-deficit diet and extreme activities can cause you to feel lethargic and experience fatigue. These supplements supply the energy you need and increase your endurance and strength.
Aside from the fatigue, workouts can cause your mood to drop and increase your irritability as well. These supplements help boost your mood and calm you down, reducing the stress and anxiety you feel throughout the day.
The best fat burning supplements are the ones who target multiple factors and promote numerous health benefits that can aid in your weight loss and overall body health, giving the most optimal results.
Who Are Fat Burning Supplements For?
If you are a person who has tried all the extreme diets and participates in intense exercises every day and still see no results, fat burning supplements may aid you. These supplements optimize the result you get from weight loss programs.
Aside from this, fat burner supplements target the speed of your metabolism and ability to burn fat, making it perfect for people who have a slow metabolism and having trouble losing those pesky fats in your body.
Fat burning supplements also help keep you feeling full and prevent insulin spikes, which are the reason for your cravings and hunger. This effect is perfect for people who have bad eating habits and would like to stick to their diet more.
Most fat burner supplements are suitable for both men and women, but other supplements can boost testosterone production and are more suitable for men than women because of the hormones.
However, fat burner supplements can contain caffeine and may not be suitable for people who are sensitive to caffeine and can disrupt your regular sleep cycles. To avoid this effect, take your supplement a few hours before bedtime or as prescribed.
Lastly, any person who would like to lose weight or even just maintain their current weight can take fat burner supplements to boost their weight loss journey. Even if you are just an average person or a sporty athlete, fat burner supplements cater to everyone.
However, if you have underlying medical conditions, under the age of 18 or currently pregnant or breastfeeding, kindly check with your doctor before adding the supplement to your diet.
How to Get Optimized Results When Using Fat Burner Supplements?
As previously discussed, fat burner supplements are just boosters for your weight loss journey and should not be the main component of your weight loss.
Below are some factors you may consider to help with achieving your desired weight:
Ask Your Dietitian
An essential factor for optimized results when using fat burner supplements is asking for advice from a health professional. This method ensures that the fat burning supplement will be effective for you and prevent any adverse side effects.
Consulting your dietitian ensures that the supplement's ingredients do not interfere with your medications if you have underlying illnesses or conditions. Your dietitian can also plan and control the dosages as they see fit for your body type.
Always remember that your dietitian knows your body best, so ensure that you consult them first before adding the supplement to your diet.
Participate in A Weight Loss Regimen
Participating in a weight loss regimen helps you track the progress of your weight loss journey. Besides this, having a regimen enables you to keep your feet on the track, preventing you from straying away from your weight loss plan.
Creating a plan for the times you take your supplements is essential as well. Know the benefits your supplements give and time them correctly in your schedule. It is also crucial to follow the recommended dosage for each supplement carefully.
Supplements who excel in keeping you satiated is suitable for hours in between meals to help avoid your pesky cravings and insulin spikes, which is the leading cause of you not being able to stick to your diet.
Supplements who give you the energy boosts are perfect before your workout regimen to help you go through those intense workouts and give them extra strength. The caffeine content in most supplements helps give you focus as well.
And most importantly, always stick to your weight loss regimen to ensure you get the most optimal results.
Always Eat A Healthy and Balanced Diet
Getting your greens and sticking to a healthy and balanced diet is essential when trying to lose weight. You cannot lose weight if you keep eating unhealthy junk foods that contain a lot of calories.
Eating a calorie-deficit diet where you eat fewer calories than your body can burn is essential when losing weight. The most efficient way to achieve this is to eat veggies that have the low-calorie content.
Healthy greens and vegetables also contain high fiber content, which helps keep you satiated and feeling full for long periods. These vegetables also help prevent insulin spikes and control your blood glucose levels.
Eating a healthy and balanced diet helps with your weight loss journey. It also helps prevent certain illnesses and reduce risks of conditions like heart diseases and cancer, increasing when you are overweight or obese.
Workout Daily and Consistently
Consistent workout regimens are crucial to losing weight. Exercise helps keep your body active and moving, increasing your thermal temperature and naturally speeding up your metabolism.
A fast metabolism is essential in helping your body burn calories even at rest. Aside from this, it also helps promote muscle gain, significant for giving you strength and endurance for workouts, as well as improving your physique.
Daily workouts also help you burn the calories you consume daily and burn fats currently in your body. These factors further help you achieve your weight loss goal and reach your desired and target weight.
Consistency Is Key
Consistency is key when it comes to losing weight. Sticking to your weight loss regimens and keeping up with a healthy and balanced diet is crucial if you would like to lose weight.
Do not cheat on your diets by giving in to your cravings and bad eating habits. It is crucial never to skip a workout session as well, to optimize your results and promote weight loss. Aside from these, always take your supplements daily as prescribed and never miss a dose.
Missing a dose, skipping workouts, and eating unhealthy meals not only hinders your weight loss journey but also slows down your progress. Doing these can even make you gain weight, making your progress useless.
Do Fat Burner Supplements Cause Any Adverse Side Effects?
We discussed the fat burner supplements in this article like Trimtone, Instant Knockout, and PhenQ. All of them use natural and organic ingredients that you can recognize easily and provide no adverse side effects.
However, not all fat burner supplements use organic ingredients and cause no adverse side effects. Always look into the product's ingredients to ensure it does not use any chemicals or additives that can cause side effects.
Some supplements may also contain hormonal boosters, which may not be suitable for another gender. Hormones that boosts testosterone may not be ideal for women and should choose supplements that cater to your gender instead.
If you are someone who is sensitive to caffeine, you might want to avoid supplements that contain high caffeine content. High caffeine content supplements can cause disruption on your regular sleeping schedule, causing insomnia.
People who have underlying medical conditions and illnesses and pregnant or breastfeeding women should also take caution when taking fat burner supplements and consult their physician before adding them to their diet.
And lastly, always check the ingredients in the product to ensure their effectiveness and make sure they are perfectly legal and cause no side effects. Natural fat burner supplements like the three brands we discussed are excellent because they only use organic ingredients that are effective in weight loss.
Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly are fat burning supplements?
Fat burning supplements are dietary supplements that help boost your body's ability to burn fat and promote weight loss. Most fat burning supplements target the factors that inhibit your body from losing weight.
These factors include the following:
- Speeding up your body's metabolism
- Suppressing your appetite and keeping you feeling satiated to prevent cravings
- Burning your body fat and preventing the production of new fat cells
- Giving you energy and strength for workouts
- Regulating your hormones to promote muscle growth and stop weight gain
Targeting these inhibitors help boost your weight loss journey and promote weight loss. Of course, these are just boosters, and you must still add daily exercise and participate in a healthy diet.
Do fat burner supplements work?
Fat burner supplements show weight loss results when paired with a healthy diet and exercise regimen. The supplements help burn fat, improve your metabolism, keep you feeling satiated, and prevent fatigue during workouts.
The supplements help speed up your weight loss journey by helping you stick to your diet and workout regimen more consistently. Aside from this, taking your supplements daily helps you burn more calories as well.
Are fat burners safe?
Fat burners are nutritional supplements that help promote weight loss. However, not all fat burner supplements in the market are safe. The three fat burner supplements we discussed are relatively safe for anyone to use.
These supplements use 100% organic ingredients, causing no adverse side effects. They do not have any additives or chemicals that may cause harmful effects on your body. To ensure that your fat burner supplement is safe, always research the brand's ingredients and see if it is safe and backed by scientific research.
How long until I see the results?
Each individual's body is different, and it is essential to take your supplements and follow their recommended dosages. Taking your supplement consistently is key to achieving optimized results.
Some people may see weight loss changes as early as the first week, while others may take longer than three weeks. Always use your fat burning supplements alongside a healthy diet and constant exercise.
Should I exercise?
Exercise is key to losing weight and burning off calories, and fat burner supplements are just boosters that help you achieve that weight loss goal. However, constant exercise while participating in a diet can be exhausting.
That is where fat burner supplements come in. These supplements help give you the energy you need and prevent the fatigue you feel after workout sessions. This effect enables you to get through those grueling workout sessions and burn more calories.
If you are a person who has tried all the extreme diet and workout regimens but still struggle to lose weight, our top pick for fat burning supplements such as PhenQ may be for you.
Fat burner supplements help boost your metabolism, increase your energy levels, and keep you feeling full, speeding up your weight loss journey.
However, before adding any supplement to your diet, always consult your dietitian to ensure you do not experience any health risks or issues.
A Yellowstone National Park trail camera received a surprising visitor last month.
- Road to Nowhere: Highways Pose Existential Threat to Wolverines ... ›
- Court Ends Attempt to Mine for Gold Near Yellowstone - EcoWatch ›
EcoWatch Daily Newsletter
For the first time, researchers have identified 100 transnational corporations that take home the majority of profits from the ocean's economy.
- 3 Innovations Leading the Fight to Save Our Ocean - EcoWatch ›
- 5 Ways to Curb the Power of Corporations and Billionaires - EcoWatch ›
Environmental groups and the foundations that fund them made incremental, if mixed, progress toward diversifying their staff and leadership in 2020 but remain overwhelmingly white, according to a report issued by Green 2.0 Wednesday.
- 15 EcoWatch Stories on Environmental and Racial Injustice ... ›
- A Look at Why Environmentalism Is So Homogeneous — and How ... ›
- The Power of Inclusive, Intergenerational Climate Activism - EcoWatch ›
- Decolonizing Environmentalism - EcoWatch ›
By Jill Joyce
Maybe you're trying to eat healthier these days, aiming to get enough of the good stuff and limit the less-good stuff. You're paying attention to things like fiber and fat and vitamins … and anti-nutrients?
What Are Anti-Nutrients?<p><a href="https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/anti-nutrients/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Anti-nutrients are substances</a> that naturally occur in plant and animal foods.</p><p>The name comes from how they function in your body once you eat them. They <a href="https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/food-science/antinutrients" target="_blank">block or interfere with how your body</a> <a href="https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B0710640" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">absorbs other nutrients</a> out of your gut and into your bloodstream so you can then use them. Thus, anti-nutrients may decrease the amount of nutrients you actually get from your food. They most commonly interfere with the absorption of <a href="https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2016.09.025" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc</a>.</p><p>Plants evolved these <a href="https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/070111p54.shtml" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">compounds as a defensive mechanism</a> against insects, parasites, bacteria and fungi. For example, some anti-nutrients can cause a food to taste bitter; animals won't want to eat it, leaving the seed, for instance, to provide nourishment for future seedlings. Some anti-nutrients block the digestion of seeds that are eaten. The seeds disperse when they come out the other end in the animal's fecal matter and can go on to grow new plants. Both of these survival tactics help the plant species grow and spread.</p><p><span></span>In terms of foods that people eat, you'll most commonly find anti-nutrients naturally occurring in whole grains and legumes.</p>
Time for an Image Makeover as Health Enhancers<p>Despite sounding scary, studies show that anti-nutrients are not of concern unless consumed in <a href="https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2014.01.010" target="_blank">ultra, unrealistically high amounts</a> – and they have numerous health benefits.</p><p>Anti-nutrients are currently undergoing a change in image very similar to the one dietary fiber experienced. At one point, scientists thought dietary fiber was bad for people. Since fiber could bind to nutrients and pull them out of the digestive tract in poop, it seemed like something to avoid. To address this perceived issue, grain processing in the late 1800s removed fiber from foods.</p><p>But now scientists know that <a href="https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00189.x" target="_blank">dietary fiber is incredibly important</a> and encourage its consumption. Eating plenty of fiber lowers the risks of obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and some gastrointestinal diseases.</p><p>In the same way, rather than something to avoid, many anti-nutrients are now considered health-promoting nutraceuticals and functional foods due to their numerous benefits. Here's an introduction to some of the most frequently eaten anti-nutrients that come with benefits:</p><ul><li><a href="https://doi.org/10.1089/109662004322984734" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Saponins, common in legumes</a>, can boost the immune system, reduce risk of cancer, lower cholesterol, lower blood sugar response to foods, result in fewer cavities, reduce risk of kidney stones and combat blood clotting seen in heart attacks and strokes.</li><li><a href="https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2014.01.010" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Lectins, found in cereal grains and legumes</a>, are associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, some cancers and becoming overweight or obese.</li><li><a href="https://doi.org/10.1080/10408699891274273" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Tannins, commonly found in teas, coffees and processed meats and cheeses</a>, are antioxidants that can inhibit growth of bacteria, viruses, fungi and yeast and may decrease cholesterol levels and blood pressure.</li><li><a href="https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B0710640" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Phytates, found in wheat, barley, rice and corn</a>, are associated with increased immune function and cancer cell death, as well as reduced cancer cell growth and spread. They also have antioxidant properties and can reduce inflammation.</li><li>Finally, <a href="https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-98184.108.40.206" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">glucosinates, found in brassica vegetables</a> like cauliflower, inhibit tumor cell growth.</li></ul><p>Oxalates are one of the few anti-nutrients with mostly negative impacts on the body. They are <a href="https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/aa166321" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">found in lots of common foods</a>, including legumes, beets, berries, cranberries, oranges, chocolate, tofu, wheat bran, soda, coffee, tea, beer, dark green vegetables and sweet potatoes. The negative impacts of oxalates include binding to calcium in the digestive tract and removing it from the body in bowel movements. Oxalates can also <a href="https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/aa166321" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">increase the risk of kidney stones</a> in some people.</p>
Fitting Anti-Nutrients Into a Healthy Diet<p>Overall, comparing the benefits to the drawbacks, anti-nutrient pros actually outweigh the cons. The healthy foods that contain them – mainly fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes – should be encouraged not avoided.</p><p>Anti-nutrients become a concern only if these foods are consumed in ultra-high amounts, <a href="https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/project/?accnNo=426312" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">which is very unlikely</a> for most adults and children in the U.S. Additionally, a large proportion of anti-nutrients are removed or lost from foods people eat <a href="https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/anti-nutrients/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">as they're processed and cooked</a>, especially if soaking, blanching, boiling or other high-heat processes are involved.</p><p>Vegetarians and vegans may be at higher risk of negative effects from anti-nutrients because their diet relies heavily on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. But these <a href="https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2016.09.025" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">plant-based diets are still among the healthiest</a> and are associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes and numerous types of cancers.</p><p>Vegetarians and vegans can take a few steps to help counteract anti-nutrients' effects on their absorption of particular nutrients:</p><ul><li>Pair high iron <a href="https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.5.1378S" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">and zinc</a> <a href="https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.afnr.2014.11.003" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">foods with</a> <a href="https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.5.1233S" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">foods high in vitamin C</a> (examples: meatballs with tomato sauce, tomato-based chili with beans).</li><li><a href="https://www.jblearning.com/catalog/productdetails/9780763779764?jblsearch" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Soak legumes before cooking</a>.</li><li><a href="https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/70.3.543s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Time dairy intake</a> such that it is not always paired with high oxalate foods.</li><li>Purchase dairy products that are fortified with calcium.</li><li>Consider a multivitamin-mineral supplement with about 100% of the daily recommended dose of nutrients (check the nutrition facts panel) as nutrition insurance if you are worried, but be sure to talk to your doctor first.<em></em></li></ul><p><em><a href="https://theconversation.com/profiles/jill-joyce-1172925" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Jill Joyce</a> is an assistant professor of Public Health Nutrition at Oklahoma State University.</em></p><p><em>Disclosure statement: Jill Joyce does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organization that would benefit from this article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.</em></p><p><em>Reposted with permission from <a href="https://theconversation.com/anti-nutrients-theyre-part-of-a-normal-diet-and-not-as-scary-as-they-sound-149229" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Conversation</a>.</em></p>
- Good Nutrition Can Help Keep COVID-19 and Other Diseases Away ... ›
- Vitamin K: A Little-Known But Noteworthy Nutrient - EcoWatch ›
Toxins enter the body through what we eat, drink, breathe in, and process in any way. Once inside, toxins overtax our immune system and detoxification system and leave us more vulnerable to illness — not ideal during cold and flu season, and especially not this year during a pandemic — and make us age a little faster, too.
1. Source Your Food Wisely<p>Try to stay away from packaged and processed foods that contain ingredients you can't pronounce, and instead reach for fresh food from natural sources. Aim to make vegetables more than 50% of your daily diet — their fiber is a great natural binder, and they're full of beneficial <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/the-case-of-the-missing-phytochemicals-and-how-to-get-them-back" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" style="">phytochemicals</a> — and minimize your red meat consumption.</p><p>Also, whenever practical, choose <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/how-to-eat-organic-without-spending-a-fortune" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">organic</a> over conventional products. That said, we know organic prices and accessibility can be an issue, so for help making strategic decisions, refer to the <a href="https://www.ewg.org/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Environmental Working Group</a> (EWG) "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean Fifteen" lists:</p><h3>The Dirty Dozen:</h3><ol><li>Strawberries</li><li>Spinach</li><li>Kale</li><li>Nectarines</li><li>Apples</li><li>Grapes</li><li>Peaches</li><li>Cherries</li><li>Pears</li><li>Tomatoes</li><li>Celery</li><li>Potatoes</li><li>Raisins*</li></ol><p><em>(*While raisins aren't technically a fresh food, the EWG found that they are "one of the dirtiest produce commodities on the market — and even some organic raisins are contaminated.")</em></p><h3>The Clean Fifteen</h3><ol><li>Avocado</li><li>Sweet corn</li><li>Pineapple</li><li>Onion</li><li>Papaya</li><li>Frozen sweet peas</li><li>Eggplant</li><li>Asparagus</li><li>Cauliflower</li><li>Cantaloupe</li><li>Broccoli</li><li>Mushrooms</li><li>Cabbage</li><li>Honeydew</li><li>Kiwi</li></ol>
2. Consider Detoxifying and Immune-Boosting Herbs<p>There are a number of herbs and natural ingredients that can help support detoxification and immune health. Here are the ones at the top of Dr. Rawls' list:</p><p><span></span><strong>Chlorella:</strong> This nutrient-rich freshwater algae binds to toxins so they can be eliminated from your body more efficiently. Chlorella works particularly well for withdrawing heavy metals. Pure chlorella can be purchased in the form of bulk powder, tablets, or capsules.</p><p><strong><a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/milk-thistle" target="_blank">Milk Thistle</a>:</strong> It's been used for thousands of years to support a healthy liver, the primary organ responsible for detoxification.</p><p><strong>Dandelion:</strong> Known to help support liver function, research suggests <a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/dandelion-extract" target="_blank">dandelion</a> helps promote the body's natural detoxification and elimination processes.</p><p><strong>Bitters:</strong> <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/the-impressive-health-benefits-of-bitter-foods" target="_blank">Bitter</a> flavors are important to digestion — they stimulate the release of the saliva, enzymes, and bile that help break down your food. Include bitter herbs and foods in each meal, or take a botanical extract that blends bitter herbs like dandelion root, burdock root, orange peel, and gentian root</p><p><strong>Reishi mushroom:</strong> An extensively studied adaptogenic mushroom, <a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/reishi" target="_blank">reishi</a> has exceptional immunomodulating and antiviral properties. It helps normalize <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/are-you-inflammaging-how-to-stop-the-inflammation-that-speeds-up-aging" target="_blank">inflammatory</a> cytokines and promotes healthy immune response against threatening <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/the-immortal-life-of-your-microbiome" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">microbes</a>.</p><p><strong>Rhodiola:</strong> Another adaptogen, <a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/rhodiola" target="_blank">rhodiola</a> improves stress tolerance by reducing fatigue, supporting energy levels, and improving tissue oxygenation.</p><p><span></span><strong><a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/turmeric" target="_blank">Turmeric</a>:</strong> This popular spice is well loved for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.</p><p><strong>Shilajit:</strong> An herbo-mineral adaptogen, <a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/shilajit" target="_blank">shilajit</a> has a long history of use in traditional Indian medicine for longevity and strength. It's also an immunomodulator with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties.</p><p><strong>Gotu Kola:</strong> Best known for improving memory and mood, <a href="https://vitalplan.com/ingredients/gotu-kola" target="_blank">gotu kola</a> is also great for promoting a normal response to inflammation, balancing stress hormones, and supporting circulation.</p>
3. Filter Your Water<p>Much of America's tap water has been shown to contain pollutants, so filtering what comes out of your kitchen sink is smart. To be sure you're using a filter that does the trick, keep these guidelines in mind:</p><ul><li>Look for a filter certified by NSF International or the Water Quality Association.</li><li>Choose one that removes the contaminants in your water (check your local drinking water quality report to see what's present).</li><li>Change your water filters on time.</li></ul>
4. Choose Safe and Effective Cleaning Supplies<p>When buying household cleaning products, don't bring home chemicals that could harm your health more than some of the microbes you're trying to get rid of. Fortunately, there are a number of products on the market that work safely; here are some ways to shop wisely:</p><ul><li>Look for the Green Seal, Ecologo, or Safer Choice (EPA) seals.</li><li>Opt for fragrance-free options.</li><li>Avoid triclosan and quaternary ammonium compounds or "quats." (One tactic is to choose products that don't advertise as "antibacterial.")</li><li>Consult the EWG's list of <a href="https://www.ewg.org/news-and-analysis/2020/03/16-effective-and-safe-products-guard-against-coronavirus" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">safe and effective products</a> for guarding against coronavirus.</li></ul>
5. Opt for Non-Toxic Beauty and Personal Care Products<p>There are a lot of claims made on beauty and self-care products these days, but words alone, like "natural," "organic," "non-toxic," "clean," "green," and "eco-friendly," don't mean a thing — they aren't backed by any sort of regulatory or certification processes. Instead, to find non-toxic products you trust, you have to do a little research.</p><p>Start by checking reputable ratings databases like <a href="https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Skin Deep</a> (EWG) and <a href="https://www.thinkdirtyapp.com/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Think Dirty</a>. Another good bet: Look for reliable third-party certifications on products labels, including:</p><ul><li>USDA Organic</li><li>EWG Verified</li><li>Made Safe</li><li>NSF/ANSI 305</li><li>Natural Products Association Certified</li><li>Whole Foods Market Premium Body Care</li></ul>
6. Get Outside<p>One more reason to <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/how-to-feel-great-and-boost-longevity-in-just-17-minutes-a-day" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" style="">get outdoors</a> beyond combatting cabin fever: The air in natural environments is generally much cleaner than indoor air. For one, outdoor air contains ⅔ less carbon dioxide, high levels of which negatively affect our productivity, <a href="https://vitalplan.com/blog/natural-sleep-aids" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" style="">sleep</a>, and more.</p><p>Forest air in particular contains phytoncides, organic compounds emitted by trees and plants that have been shown to boost our immune system function, plus plants in general help neutralize toxic substances in the air. Forests, open spaces, and open water are also rich in negative ions, which reduce inflammation.</p><p>So take your pick of natural environs, and get out there as often as possible — while still maintaining at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and others, of course.</p>
7. Bring Nature Indoors<p>Plants are natural air purifiers, so bringing some plants indoors can help clear the air in your home. Here's a list of the top 10 air-purifying plants to consider:</p><ul><li>Areca palm</li><li>Lady palm</li><li>Bamboo palm</li><li>Rubber plant</li><li>Dracaena</li><li>English ivy</li><li>Dwarf date palm</li><li>Ficus</li><li>Boston fern</li><li>Peace lily</li></ul>
8. Drive Less, Move More<p>Staying off the roads decreases air pollution, and the fact that many of us are driving less these days is noticeably improving air quality. If your commute is on hold, try to translate some of your usual travel time into getting more physical activity, or sneak in more movement between other normal routines.</p><p>Exercise improves circulation, oxygenates your tissues, and enhances the work of the lymphatic system through muscle contractions — all of which make it easier to move toxins out of your body.</p>
9. Practice Forgiveness<p>Through the practice of gratitude, we stay centered and in the present moment. This allows us to move through situations from our heart. Take time to forgive someone or yourself for things in the past. When we forgive, we expand and open up to endless possibilities.</p>
10. Quit a Bad Habit<p>Are you a smoker? Pack rat? Chronically sleep-deprived? In a bad relationship? Toxins come into our lives in many forms. Consider if you're participating in any unhealthy patterns or holding onto anything that no longer serves you, and then find a way to limit those things in your life.</p>
- 15 Supplements to Boost Your Immune System Right Now - EcoWatch ›
- The Immune System's Fight Against the Coronavirus - EcoWatch ›