Many pet owners have shown an interest in CBD oil for dogs as a natural way to enhance the health and wellbeing of their pets. CBD, or cannabidiol, can offer a wide range of health benefits for animals, just as it can for humans. In this article we'll offer background information on CBD oils for dogs as well our recommendations for the best brands and products.
To help clarify any misconceptions about the use of CBD on animals, we wanted to outline important information regarding effects, dosing, and scientific research related to CBD use on pets. Those that have personally tried CBD for their pets say it has the potential to reduce pain, anxiety, inflammatory conditions, and seizures, among other advantages.
It's worth doing your own research to find the best CBD solution for your pet, since they now come in CBD treats, shampoos, peanut butters, and more. Our article will recommend the best CBD oils for dogs and will also provide important information for you to consider about giving CBD to your pets.
Our Top Picks for Dog CBD Oils
- Best Organic Oil - NuLeaf Naturals Pet CBD
- Best Price - Medterra Pets CBD
- Best Flavor - Cornbread Hemp CBD Oil for Pets
- Best Variety - Honest Paws USDA Organic CBD Oil for Dogs
- Best Satisfaction Guarantee - CBDistillery CBD Pet
Below is our list of the best CBD oil products for dogs. Each of these brands has exhibited a commitment to third-party lab testing and creates products we think you and your pet can trust.
How We Review CBD Oil for Dogs
To create our list of best CBD tinctures for dogs, we evaluated each brand and product on six specific categories that we use for all of our reviews.
- Value — Is the brand's pet CBD oil affordable and does it work as advertised?
- Strength — How many total milligrams of CBD does each dose of CBD oil contain? Is it full spectrum, broad spectrum, or CBD isolate?
- Source — Where does the company get its hemp? Is it grown in the USA?
- Flavor — Do they flavor their CBD oil? If so, do they use natural ingredients?
- Transparency — Can you view third-party lab test results and information about their extraction process?
- Customer Experience — Do they offer a satisfaction guarantee? What do customer reviews say about the product?
Learn more about our picks for best CBD oils for dogs below.
Each product featured here has been independently selected by the writer. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn a commission.
NuLeaf Naturals makes dosing easier, as the oils all come in a consistent strength. NuLeaf Naturals offers a clean, natural way to try plant-based relief for your pet. All products are also certified as organic by the U.S. Department of Agriculture —the only dog CBD products to bear that distinction.
Strength: 3mg full spectrum CBD per dose, available in 300mg, 900mg, and 1800mg size bottles
Why buy: USDA certified organic; full spectrum CBD oil; Co2 extraction method from hemp grown in Colorado; third-party lab tested with results available online.
All Medterra pet products are THC free and this CBD oil comes in a natural beef flavor. Concentrations available are 150, 300, and 750 milligrams per bottle. As with Medterra's human-focused products, these oils are made with Kentucky-grown hemp.
Strength: 150mg, 300mg, or 750mg broad spectrum CBD per bottle.
Why buy: THC-free broad spectrum CBD; natural beef flavoring; organically grown, non-GMO hemp from Kentucky; U.S. Hemp Authority Certified;
Cornbread Hemp's CBD Oil for Pets is made to be tastier for your dog (or cat) with a vegan corndog flavor. This makes it more appealing to furry friends than the natural flavors of some CBD oils. It's also vegan, non-GMO, and contains no fillers or preservatives. All of their products are also third-party lab tested and include seed-to-sale tracking and a tamper-proof seal.
Strength: 17 mg full spectrum CBD per serving, 500 mg per bottle.
Why buy: This CBD oil for pets from Cornbread Hemp contains a stronger concentration of CBD per serving than some other alternatives; includes vegan corndog flavoring to make it easier to add to your dog's diet.
Honest Paws is a brand specifically dedicated to high-quality CBD products for pets. They sell everything from CBD peanut butter and treats to shampoo and more. Their Wellness line of USDA Organic CBD Oil for Dogs is made from full spectrum hemp and can help boost your dog's immune system as well as their physical and mental wellbeing. Since it's made from organic hemp, you can trust that it is free from preservatives, additives, pesticides, soy, corn and GMO products.
Strength: 125mg per bottle (for small dogs), 250mg per bottle (for medium dogs), 500mg per bottle (for large dogs)
Why buy: USDA certified organic; full spectrum quality CBD oil; easy to access lab results online; tincture makes it simple to apply CBD with a dropper in your dog's food.
CBDistillery CBD products are processed in cold-pressed hemp seed oil. This is meant to aid in the dog's digestion of the product. They have a 150-milligram tincture for small to medium sized dogs and a 600-milligram pet CBD oil made for larger breeds — each is affordable when compared to other brands on the market.
Strength: 5mg or 20mg full spectrum CBD per serving, available in 150mg and 600mg size bottles
Why buy: Non-GMO industrial hemp grown in the U.S.; full spectrum CBD oil; cold-pressed hemp seed oil; U.S. Hemp Authority Certified; 60-day money back guarantee; third-party lab tested with easily accessible results.
About CBD for Dogs
When it comes to cannabis, dogs have a slightly different endocannabinoid system than humans. Canines have a higher concentration of CB1 receptors in the cerebellum than any other species, and THC is a partial agonist of these receptors. This means that dogs have increased sensitivity to THC, but since CBD is different compound it does not have much direct action with these CB1 receptors. Since CBD oils made from hemp have high amounts of CBD and extremely low amounts of THC, it's unlikely that CBD would harm your dog. Any product high in THC should probably be avoided unless otherwise recommended by a trusted vet.
While THC may have medicinal value in certain cases, it can produce a psychoactive effect that might actually increase anxiety in animals when administered in high doses. If you want to introduce cannabis extracted ingredients into your dog's diet, it's generally safer to use CBD dominant extracts.
Although THC and CBD can be used in conjunction for therapeutic purposes, it's more difficult to obtain extracts with a high concentration of THC — unless you live in one of the few states that allows for recreational marijuana use. Cannabis extracts that are high in CBD and low in THC are preferred, as they are considered to be widely available and legal in more areas. Lab test results, especially from a third party lab, can determine the percentage of CBD and THC within a cannabis extract. This way, you can ensure that any cannabis extract given to your dog is accurately labeled and contains only CBD extracted from hemp.
CBD Oil for Dogs FAQs
What are the benefits of CBD oil for dogs?
There are plenty of personal stories about the health benefits of CBD on pets, but what science is there to back up these claims?
One survey from the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association (AHVMA) included responses from more than 600 pet owners, and found that the most successful uses of CBD in pets were:
- Pain relief
- Sleep aid
- Anxiety relief (including thunderstorm or firework phobia)
- Nervous system support
- Reduced inflammation
- Reduced seizures
- Preventing vomiting and nausea
- Mitigating muscle spasms
- Helping with digestive tract issues
- Skin condition treatments
On top of these findings, a recent scientific study conducted by Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine has shown that CBD oil helped decrease pain, and increase activity, in dogs suffering from osteoarthritis.
How do I choose the right CBD product for my pet?
With increased popularity in CBD and hemp products, new sellers are popping up everyday. There are a range of CBD products designed for pet owners, including:
- Sprays (oral and topical)
- Dog treats
- Balms, salves, and other topical treatments
It can be difficult to distinguish between the quality of different brands and what product is best suited for your pet. You'll want to do your homework before buying anything. We recommend using CBD products that are intended for pets, as well as brands who use third-party labs to verify CBD potency and test for the presence of any pesticides, microbials, or solvents.
Most quality CBD pet products will have dosing guidelines, which makes it easier for owners to give their animal the right amount. But these guidelines are often coming from the company, not a veterinarian, so keep this in mind.
It's important to take existing medications into consideration before using CBD on your pet, as it may alter the efficacy of these treatments for certain conditions. According to Dr. Tim Shu, CEO and founder of VETCBD, "CBD has been shown to be very safe across a wide range of doses in multiple animal species. But if an animal is on other medications, especially ones with narrow therapeutic ranges, a pet owner should discuss the concurrent use of CBD with their veterinarian prior to starting."
Using CBD products designed for human consumption can be a bit more difficult, and they may include ingredients that are not healthy for dogs or cats to ingest. Currently, there are no pet products certified by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
What should I look for in CBD for my dog?
Here are four important factors to consider when shopping for a CBD oil for dogs:
- CBD products extracted from hemp: CBD can be extracted from hemp or marijuana, as both plants are from the cannabis family. Marijuana plants contain more THC than hemp plants, so it's likely that marijuana extracted CBD products will have a higher concentration of THC. CBD oils extracted from hemp can sometimes still contain trace amounts of THC. Some brands distill out these cannabinoids and terpenes to create a CBD isolate, but we recommend using full-spectrum CBD extracts for a synergistic effect and greater therapeutic value.
- The product's origin story: Since cannabis is a hyperaccumulator, it absorbs the elements of the ground within which it was grown. This is of particular concern when it comes to CBD oil because heavy metal toxicity can be prevalent, and you certainly don't want to feed your pet anything toxic. Even "natural" doesn't always equal safe. Make sure you know where a product's hemp was sourced and how it was grown.
- Is it infused with oil? CBD oil for dogs is easy to add into your pet's food without them detecting a difference. For ease of absorption, look for a CBD product that's infused with olive oil. Olive oil is rich in unsaturated fats, and healthier for your pet than other options like coconut oil.
- Is it made with CBD or hemp seed oil? Hemp seed oil is not the same as CBD oil, and this can cause some confusion. Hemp seed extract is pressed from the seeds of hemp to produce an oil that may help give your dog a shinier coat or better skin, but it does not contain any cannabinoids. Some products contain both.
Our curated list above features some of our favorite CBD brands selling trusted pet products.
Is CBD safe for dogs?
In the emerging CBD space, it helps to look to medical professionals, review sites, and other experts to help you decide if CBD is the right fit for your dog.
The American Kennel Club says "while there's no definitive scientific data on using CBD to treat dogs, there's anecdotal evidence from dog owners suggesting it can treat pain, especially neuropathic pain, as well as helping to control seizures."
There is also some compelling research now being done on CBD's effects on canines. For instance, a study conducted by Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine showed that treatment with CBD oil resulted in decreased pain for dogs with osteoarthritis.
And in a survey collected by the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, data from over 600 pet owners found that CBD use in animals also seems to yield positive results. These owners found success using CBD for anxiety relief, sleep assistance, nervous response support, treating skin conditions, reducing nausea, and preventing inflammation in dogs.
What are the side effects and risks?
The biggest risks to pets when given CBD are usually caused by an overdose of the compound. Some adverse side effects, such as an upset stomach or drowsiness, may occur in rare instances — but these can likely be avoided by supplying the proper dose.
If you're using a product that includes THC, you increase the risk that your pet may have a negative reaction. Dogs that suffer from too much THC intake develop static ataxia, which is specific to canines and results in loss of muscle coordination, balance, and problems controlling their bowels or bladders. For this reason, proper dosing of CBD and THC products is extremely important.
How much CBD should I give my dog?
Since official dosing recommendations from the veterinary community are limited, it's always best to start small. You can increase dosage slowly to gage your pet's response, and once you notice positive improvements in their condition, you can stick to this dose amount. Most products come with dosage recommendations and guidelines, depending on the size of your pet.
A general guideline is 0.2mg of CBD per pound of body weight per day.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Dogs
Although CBD is generally considered to be safe for pets, it has not been approved by the FDA for this purpose. For this reason, it's important that you do your research and find a CBD product that you trust with verifiable third-party lab testing results.
As with anything you give your pet, it's important to recognize when something's off. If you are concerned about how your dog or cat is responding to CBD, contact your veterinarian and discontinue use of the product until professional guidance has been given.
- Best CBD Oil for Anxiety and Depression 2020 – Top 5 Reviews ... ›
- Best CBD Oil for Pain - Top 10 CBD Oil Review 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- CBD Oil for Dogs: 7 Benefits & Treatment Guide - EcoWatch ›
- The Best Organic CBD Oils Available in 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- CBD for Dogs: Best CBD Dog Treats of 2020 - EcoWatch ›
- Best (Tested) CBD Oil in the UK - 2021 Reviews ›
- Best CBD Creams, Salves, and Lotions [2021 Update] ›
- 5 Best CBD Gummies Available | EcoWatch.com ›