8 High-Protein Vegan Snacks You Can Take With You Anywhere
It’s easy to eat healthy vegan snacks at home when your fridge and cupboards are filled with delicious food. But outside of your home, it can be challenging to find a healthy, high-protein vegan snack when you’re hungry. Snacks often have cheese, milk or eggs in them or are full of sugar, salt, fats and unhealthy carbs. That’s why I always carry snacks with me in my car so I can enjoy eating foods that nourish me, even when I’m not home.
Here are some easy and delicious vegan snack ideas:
1. Trail Mix
This is very simple to make and store for a fast and easy protein snack. You can use any nuts, seeds and dried fruit you prefer. I personally leave out the dried fruit.
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Any other dried fruit you would like.
1. Dry roast seeds in a dry pan until golden brown, stirring constantly.
2. Dry roast nuts in a dry pan until golden brown, stirring constantly.
3. Mix together sultanas and currants.
4. Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!
2. Butter Bean Dip
This is a very tasty and healthy dip you can pair with vegetables or corn chips. Try using it as sandwich spread, too.
- 1 cup butter beans (cooked)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
1. Mash butter beans until smooth and creamy.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Mix together until well-blended.
4. Adjust seasoning to taste (salt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic).
5. Put into a decorative bowl and garnish with olives and watercress.
6. Serve with vegetables, corn chips or wholemeal crackers.
3. Homemade Maple Glazed Pecans
These are so yummy and not full of all the sugar that the processed options have in them.
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: add ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1. Add pecans to a dry frying pan and toast until lightly browned over a medium flame for 3-4 minutes, always stirring.
2. Turn flame to low, add the coconut oil, maple syrup and salt and continue to stir for another 2-3 minutes, until the maple syrup has caramelized the pecans.
3. Leave in pan for a few more minutes.
4. Then spread the pecans out on a large plate.
5. Let them cool completely before eating because they taste better that way!
4. Tempeh or Tofu Vegan Sandwich
This is one of my favorite quick, easy and nutritious sandwiches.
For a quick meal use pre-marinated tempeh or tofu from the health food store. Brush both sides with sesame oil, then either sauté or grill on both sides till golden brown.
The tofu or tempeh becomes the main ingredient for the sandwich. Grab slices of bread, spread some mustard or healthy mayo, place a few leaves of lettuce on top and add some slices of cucumber and tomato. Then just put the other slice of bread on top and a yummy healthy sandwich to go!
Four More Extra Quick Vegan Snack Ideas:
- Fill celery sticks with almond butter or peanut butter.
- Make some Easy Cheezy Vegan Nachos.
- Edamame crisps or dry roasted edamame: baked or dehydrated edamame (soybean) pods. They’re crunchy like chips but healthier and full of protein. Make sure you get a non-GMO variety since soybeans are often genetically modified.
- Single Serving Non-Dairy Milks (almond, coconut and soy milk) are now available in many health food stores. Look for the ones without added sugar.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE