By Brian Syuki
Many of us start the morning by brushing our teeth, taking a shower and making a cup of coffee. Those are all good and fine routines, but adding a few more steps can help inspire weight loss and sustainable healthy habits.
I've found that it's easier for me to maintain healthy habits in the morning than the evening and when I start the morning off right, it's easier for me to maintain healthy habits throughout the day.
If you find doing all of these rituals overwhelming, pick three and start practicing them. You can always add the others in the future.
1. Fill a water bottle.
Staying hydrated will help you lose more weight, according to this study. One of the best ways to increase water intake is to carry a bottle of water everywhere you go. So fill your water bottle every morning. While you're at it, drink one or two glasses of water before you leave the house. Aim to drink 2 to 3 liters of water each day.
2. Do 20 minutes of strength training.
Morning hours are the best time to exercise since there are usually no distractions and willpower is intact. Strength training will boost your metabolism and keep you energetic throughout the day. You can do different bodyweight exercises that target arms, legs or the core. Alternatively, you can do dynamic stretches.
If your current schedule doesn't allow time for a morning workout, wake up 20 minutes earlier.
3. Eat a high fiber breakfast.
Eating high fiber foods will give you energy and you'll be less hungry at lunch. Stay away from muffins, breads and other sugary foods because they spike insulin and trigger cravings.
The best breakfast combo is a protein like quinoa, nuts or tofu scramble with high-fiber foods like fruits or veggies. One study found that people who ate at least 35 grams of proteins for breakfast stabilized glucose levels, reduced total daily food intake and didn't gain fat.
4. Pack your snacks.
You're more likely to snack on unhealthy foods if you don't carry a snack. Eating healthy snacks will keep hunger at bay and prevent binging. After filling your water bottle, pack your snacks and carry them to work.
5. Go through your diet and exercise goals.
Most of us forget about our goals as soon as we set them. Reminding yourself of your goals will keep you motivated and prevent you from falling off the wagon. Write down your weight loss goals on a pad and stick it somewhere you can read every morning.
Set an order for your rituals. I do my morning rituals in a particular order every day, and I think it has helped me stick to them. Which habits have helped you lose weight?
This article was reposted with permission from our media associate Care2.
France moved one step closer this weekend to banning short-haul flights in an attempt to fight the climate crisis.
- Could a Tax on International Travel Fund a Country's Response to ... ›
- Most People in the UK Back Limits on Flying to Tackle Climate Crisis ... ›
- To Fly or Not to Fly? The Environmental Cost of Air Travel - EcoWatch ›
Four gray whales have washed up dead near San Francisco within nine days, and at least one cause of death has been attributed to a ship strike.
- Drones Capture Stunning Footage of Humpback and Gray Whales ... ›
- Ninth Gray Whale in Two Months Washes Up Dead in Bay Area ... ›
- As Extreme Weather Events Increase, What Are the Risks to Wildlife? ›
- 'Existential Threat to Our Survival': See the 19 Australian ... ›
- Cyclone Harold Batters Fiji, Tonga Could Be Next - EcoWatch ›
- 2 Killed, Thousands Evacuated as Cyclone Yesa Slams Fiji ... ›
By Rishika Pardikar
Search operations are still underway to find those declared missing following the Uttarakhand disaster on 7 February 2021.
Biden Refuses to Shut Down Dakota Access Pipeline, Despite Campaign Pledges on Tribal Relations and Climate
By Jessica Corbett
Indigenous leaders and climate campaigners on Friday blasted President Joe Biden's refusal to shut down the Dakota Access Pipeline during a court-ordered environmental review, which critics framed as a betrayal of his campaign promises to improve tribal relations and transition the country to clean energy.
- After Court Rules Dakota Access Pipeline Operating Illegally, Dems ... ›
- Environmentalists Applaud Biden Selections of Granholm, McCarthy ... ›
- Biden Urged to 'Honor Indigenous Sovereignty and Immediately Halt ... ›