16 Groups to Host Solar Parties, Unveil Technologies and #PutSolarOnIt During National Day of Action
Solar house parties, church celebrations, solar workshops and more will combine to make June 21 a very big day.
It's the longest day of the year, the first day of summer and the day when 16 organizations will encourage the world to #PutSolarOnIt.
Sure social media will help spread the word, but the day figures to be about much more than campaigns on Twitter or Instagram. It will be equal parts fun and business, as some groups will host gatherings while others will unveil new technologies that will help the solar industry continue the dominant year that began with more new electricity generation than any other power source.
"The overwhelming judgment of science is that we need to act on climate. Solar energy is a win-win solution: This growing sector can create jobs, bring savings to consumers and reduce the production of dangerous carbon pollution that causes climate change," the staff of The Climate Reality Project, one of the participating organizations, writes in an announcement of the day.
"All across America there are opportunities to #PutSolarOnIt—to turn our homes, our churches, our schools our lands and our neighborhood rooftops into solutions to climate change."
Here are some highlights planned for the Day of Action:
- Mosaic will launch a new organizing platform called Mosaic Places that people can use to encourage their favorite places to go solar. Mosaic is known as the first online marketplace in the U.S. to offer solar investments to the public.
- Organizing for Action chapters across the country will grassroots day of action events at local solar installations.
- Interfaith Power & Light plans on contacting more than 15,000 congregations in more than 40 states to celebrate congregations that have installed solar panels. Interfaith will also hold solar workshops to help congregations that want to install solar energy.
- World Wildlife Fund will promote solar power at the Chicago Green Music Festival, which also begins on June 21.
- Sierra Club is organizing events in multiple states, including solar house parties, press conferences, celebrating new installations and passing municipal resolutions declaring June 21 “Put Solar On It Day."
- The Solar Foundation is hosting its annual, flagship event from its Washington D.C. rooftop, overlooking the Capitol.
- Organizations like Environment America, Solar Energy Industry Association, Vote Solar, the League of Conservation Voters and the Solutions Project will promote the event through their social media channels, highlight success stories and interesting facts promoting solar energy as a way to fight climate change. The Alliance for Climate Education will promote the day of action through its social media network, asking its high school student network to submit creative photos of where they want to "#PutSolarOnIt."
YOU ALSO MIGHT LIKE